New Text Editions

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Wanted to hear from some seasoned instructors that might have an inside on this type of info. Throughout my medic class we've been doing some of the alphabet soup courses, and so far we've done ACLS, PALS, AMLS, ABLS, PHTLS, and PEPP. For everything except ACLS and PEPP our books have been loaners. I want to pick up these books and some others similar but I have heard rumors of major overhauls in the editions to be released in 2010. Considering my class isn't planning for boards until next summer if this is true I'd rather wait to pick these books up and just borrow them in the meantime from my class (the loaner books are part of their working library that you can borrow various things from).

Does anyone have specific information about education overhauls and new editions for 2010? Anything later than 2010 and I'll go ahead and pick up the books up.

Maybe my google/search-fu is broken but I can't seem to find any specifics.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
New texts are scheduled to be introduced in limited areas this fall but the majority will be out next spring with the new standards.

ACLS, etc will have their ECC this fall and usually by spring or next summer/fall they will produced.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Dominion

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
New texts are scheduled to be introduced in limited areas this fall but the majority will be out next spring with the new standards.

ACLS, etc will have their ECC this fall and usually by spring or next summer/fall they will produced.

R/r 911

Great, thanks for the heads up, I think I'll wait till next spring then to pick them up before my exam (which is between next summer and the beginning of next fall). Hopefully we will get these new editions in the library before then as well.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Wanted to hear from some seasoned instructors that might have an inside on this type of info. Throughout my medic class we've been doing some of the alphabet soup courses, and so far we've done ACLS, PALS, AMLS, ABLS, PHTLS, and PEPP. For everything except ACLS and PEPP our books have been loaners. I want to pick up these books and some others similar but I have heard rumors of major overhauls in the editions to be released in 2010. Considering my class isn't planning for boards until next summer if this is true I'd rather wait to pick these books up and just borrow them in the meantime from my class (the loaner books are part of their working library that you can borrow various things from).

Does anyone have specific information about education overhauls and new editions for 2010? Anything later than 2010 and I'll go ahead and pick up the books up.

Maybe my google/search-fu is broken but I can't seem to find any specifics.

Usually between March and June new books hit the stand.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Usually between March and June new books hit the stand.

True but many are trying to get jump start on the new standards. I have proof read a few..that are scheduled out this Oct to Nov.

R/r 911

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
True but many are trying to get jump start on the new standards. I have proof read a few..that are scheduled out this Oct to Nov.

R/r 911

Of course you do. Many EMS I/C's assist in previewing texts. Got 2 up coming Brady editions going on right now myself.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Of course you do. Many EMS I/C's assist in previewing texts. Got 2 up coming Brady editions going on right now myself.

I did not say preview, I said proof read as in before entering publication as in raw form i.e. to suggest changes and edits before publication.

Yes, it is well known that many samples are distributed to trainers and educators to preview. Anyone that suggests that they can purchase several copies can usually become a reviewer and with that hopefully they will endorse them.

The ones I was discussing were in rough form almost two + years ago just awaiting final approval of the NHTSA Standards from NAEMSE.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dominion

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Is pretty much everything changing for the new standards coming out? Lots of books to get and re-review before I even take the test.

When is the NREMT changing to reflect the new standards?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Is pretty much everything changing for the new standards coming out? Lots of books to get and re-review before I even take the test.

When is the NREMT changing to reflect the new standards?

There is additional material but if you are currently in school, the chances are you will be completed before the new Standards are put in placed. In regards to NREMT, they are gearing up for the new standards by re-developing the tests. I was informed last spring, when we were writing new questions that it would be probably late 2012 before the new tests would be in place.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Dominion

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
There is additional material but if you are currently in school, the chances are you will be completed before the new Standards are put in placed. In regards to NREMT, they are gearing up for the new standards by re-developing the tests. I was informed last spring, when we were writing new questions that it would be probably late 2012 before the new tests would be in place.

R/r 911

Sounds good, my instructors are teaching us as if the standards were already changed so I feel that I would be able to pass the test if it was put into place before we finished. Our lectures portion ends in Oct when we begin our clinical hours, we'll definitely be finished before the new stuff comes out.