New Tahoe EMS unit is awesome!!!!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
medivac5.jpg

Looks like the perfect suburban response vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

xlq771

Forum Probie
In western Canada, a lot of industrial EMS providers use Suburban conversions as Emergency Transport Vehicles out in the oilfield, and in forestry. Crestline Coach still offers a high top Suburban conversion for this purpose. Some units use standard cots, others use basket stretchers. These units transport the parient to EMS.

They also use Mobile Treatment Centers, which are a slide in module to convert a pick up into an ambulance. Most designs use basket stretchers.

www.tufport.com/medical_overview.htm

www.tufport.com/docs/TufportMedical1.pdf

http://cargobody.com/pdf/ambulance.pdf

www.braunnorthwest.com/ems_slidein.php

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
well, it just doesn't seem right that the Police/FD always get the best of everything, but EMS gets treated like crap. EMS averages more calls per year than either Fire of Police. So, why should they be stuck with junk made in the early 90's and have to do all the work while the cops get a new dodge challenger to SIT in. That's all they do , SIT and wait for someone to need help, then CREEP on out to the call.

The police that work in my area, do a lot. And yes they have newer vehicles than what we have, but for us to do our job we need them. I know your getting ready to take you EMT class, so not sure how much you know about this already SCENE SAFETY! PD responds to almost every call we have (We have a lot of highway accidents, fights, and drug calls), just to make sure that were safe and that we can do our job. To provide care to the sick and injured.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
... So, why should they be stuck with junk made in the early 90's and have to do all the work while the cops get a new dodge challenger to SIT in. That's all they do , SIT and wait for someone to need help, then CREEP on out to the call.

It's funny. All I do is SIT and wait for someone to need help...:rolleyes:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
actually, it has the best light system I've ever seen. what it was was the old fire chief's cruiser truck, so it has some of the nice fire features on it.

Just so we're clear, this is Streetglow:
http://carjamz.com/zen/images/AN100.jpg
There can't possibly be a need for that on an EMS vehicle

Either way, the best lighting system in the world isn't going to matter to the patient. In certain situations it may be beneficial in keeping your crew safe, but it isn't the be all end all.

rmellish

Forum Captain
It sounds like a great recruiting tool.

If you have a chronic whacker shortage you're trying to remedy.

Fireguy

Forum Crew Member
Is this a rural department? I could see a good use for that vehicle in that case. Like others have said using it to get the pt out to road. So many times we had to place the PT in the bed of the FDs brush truck. Also use for in the winter at a multiple PT accident. Put a PT in the tahoe while waiting for mutial aid. Instead of putting them in the fire trucks cab to keep them warm and dry while waiting. Of course im looking through my departments eyes whos way out in the country and mutial aid is about 30min or more away. For a suburban area though...that dead horse has been beaten enough. Although it would be nice as a "stand by piece" for football games or race tracks if you have any of details like that.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
well I didn't know what else to use to describe them as. Simply put, they are THE best. Fast, efficient, and they are good caregivers. When I had my wreck last month they were the guys that came and got me. I would put them up against anyone else in the country.

I think I'm a good, fast, and efficient caregiver....... Does that mean that I can have more letters after my name? Maybe I can get a tag printed up with EMT-P/Elite!

And, wait a second, so not every EMT, Intermediate, and Paramedic at this service is a good, fast, and efficient care giver? Isn't that what we're supposed to be? I'd be mad if I got one of the bad, slow, inefficient medics when I needed help.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Don't want to send out a Type III unit? Then send out a Type II. I wouldn't use that kind of truck for anything but a supervisor vehicle or ALS Intercept type vehicle with the capability to transport if absolutely necessary... meaning there aren't any other options available.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
In western Canada, a lot of industrial EMS providers use Suburban conversions as Emergency Transport Vehicles out in the oilfield, and in forestry. Crestline Coach still offers a high top Suburban conversion for this purpose. Some units use standard cots, others use basket stretchers. These units transport the parient to EMS.

They also use Mobile Treatment Centers, which are a slide in module to convert a pick up into an ambulance. Most designs use basket stretchers.

www.tufport.com/medical_overview.htm

www.tufport.com/docs/TufportMedical1.pdf

http://cargobody.com/pdf/ambulance.pdf

www.braunnorthwest.com/ems_slidein.php

Yes we have plenty of these in the oilsands here in Alberta. They're not bad. Not great, but not bad.

As for the Tahoe being used as an "ambulance", no. IMO, the only place a Tahoe has in EMS (without having a box being thrown on the back for a real ambulance conversion) is for supervisor response or a first responder.