New PHTLS...

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Has anyone seen the new rollouts yet?

I just went through the updates. I am pretty excited about what I see.

I know we were talking not too long ago about the military and the use of "Damage Control" the idea of tourniquet first not last..........
This is one of the points made.
Anybody else?

Views?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have received some information with some of the new objectives, and scheduled for a roll out later this summer. Awaiting the boss man to purchase the new texts.

R/r 911

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
Hi, this is from http://www.naemt.org/PHTLS/pressGallery/newsletters/ with some brief info of some of the changes in the new edition of the manual:

"PHTLS 6th Edition

Speaking of the 6th edition, we are extremely proud of what we are about to release to you. This is the most comprehensive PHTLS text yet. It is fully referenced to show the validity of our content, with new chapters to broaden our support to the course and as a trauma reference for all prehospital trauma providers.

As with all of our texts, the content begins with the 7th edition of ATLS. This keeps us medically sound and consistent with the physicians taking ATLS and the nurses taking the ATCN course. The book is evidence-based with position papers included where appropriate and references with footnotes. We also expanded the content on prolonged transport situations.

The book is divided into sections as follows:

In section I, Energy and Injury, the introduction, injury prevention and kinematics are covered with new sections on reading medical literature, injury prevention in EMS providers and shotgun injuries.

In section II, Assessment, the scene, the patient, airway and ventilation and shock are covered including a new chapter on scene safety. In this section, we also cover the START triage system.

In section III, Specific Injuries, we look at specific injuries, including head and spinal injuries, thoracic and abdominal trauma, musculoskeletal and burn trauma, pediatric and geriatric trauma, heat and cold and other environmental injuries. This section includes new material on facial trauma and soft tissue neck trauma. Other additions include coverage of crush injuries and compartment syndrome and the pediatric triage system JUMPSTART. The environmental chapter includes new information on SCUBA-diving injuries, high altitude, lightning injuries and drowning.

Section IV, System and Summary, includes the golden principles and EMS and trauma systems chapters.

In section V, Special Considerations, covers disaster management, weapons of mass destruction, civilian tactical EMS and wilderness trauma care. Disaster management, weapons of mass destruction, civilian tactical EMS and wilderness trauma care are all new chapters.

Military Edition

While the Military version of the 5th edition was edited by US military personnel, the 6th edition is a very different book that builds on the core content of the civilian edition and presents a book specific to the trauma faced by military prehospital providers.

Instructor Materials

The PHTLS ancillary development team of the Executive Council has worked very hard to develop interactive educationally sound course content and instructor resources. Working with the publisher, we have again invested in our faculty, and a copy of the PowerPoint slides will be included in every instructor manual along with lecture outlines and other faculty support.

I hope to see many of you at the first rollout in Las Vegas. If you can’t get there, check with your National, Regional and State Coordinators about attending or setting up a rollout near you."

Personally I look forward to see the "environmental chapter", surely it'll become useful.

Guri

www.myspace.com/lifeguardavidas

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I look forward to taking this class with the new changes! :)