New phone?

DeadeyeDiaZ

Forum Probie
I'm not exactly sure how EMS works in terms of communication within the department and so on. I'm in need of a new phone and I am wondering if there is a specfic phone that is most helpful with being an EMT? Like the iphone, or walkie-talkie, etc.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I don't see where you could go wrong with an i-phone if you can afford it of course someone will have an argument against it. If you look at the coverage area and apps available you should be able to make up your mind if its going to work for you. I will tell you everyone I know in both the field and the ER with an i-phone would never go back to their old phone. I hope to jump on the i-phone train myself next time around. I have a cheap Razor knockoff and I absolutely hate the thing,big fingers+small buttons+working mainly night shifts and dialing while driving a 105,000 pound set of doubles=a pain in the arse.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have a blackberry storm, I have a couple good EMS apps. I'd have an iPhone if the coverage where I live was better (I happen to live right smack in the middle of an AT&T dead zone.)

My biggest recommendation when it comes to cell phones and EMS is get insurance on your phone! I've broken mine a couple times in job related incidents. I think iPhones and other app compatible phones are ideal. My favorite and most useful app on my storm by far has been Emergency Medical Spanish. The EKG app isn't bad either.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
iphone has the most apps, but AT&T's coverage is subpar.
verizon's coverage is much better, but their phones don't have as many apps. its personal preference.

storm 2 just came out, which is really nice, and motorola droid comes out later this week, which is supposed to be an "iphone killer" so keep your eyes open

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
If you're not wanting an iphone or AT&T, then check out the android or Windows Mobile phones. Windows Mobile is what I have and there are a lot of free and paid ppc applications available. Also, it is customizable opposed to the iphone.

Check out ppcgeeks.com news forum and you'll see there are reviews and updates on existing and upcoming phones. Some real kick butt phones will be out if you can wait till christmas.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You CAN have the iPhone with ATT... I'm on T-mobile with the iphone, which is cheaper than ATT for the same things.

A funny thing you'll notice in EMS / medicine in general is that the vast majority of people will have either an iPhone or another type of smartphone. You will rarely ever see any old style flip phones anymore. Atleast in my experience ^_^

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
storm 2 just came out, which is really nice, and motorola droid comes out later this week, which is supposed to be an "iphone killer" so keep your eyes open

The hardware on the Droid is outdated. I don't know about the BB storm 2. Threes a phone called the HTC HD2/Leo and its Android version coming out. These Specs out class the iphone.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Right now I have the G1, it doesn't really have any EMS apps on it right now though. I do plan to write few for it after I am done with a game I am working on, I think if you give the Android OS time it will catch up with the amount and quality of the iphones apps.

MRE

Forum Captain
I think everybody is going to hate me for this, but I have my eyes set on the Motorola R765. It's not exactly budget friendly, but after using motorola's commercial radios and other high quality equipment at my payin' job, all other cell phones seem like toys.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
I think everybody is going to hate me for this, but I have my eyes set on the Motorola R765. It's not exactly budget friendly, but after using motorola's commercial radios and other high quality equipment at my payin' job, all other cell phones seem like toys.

that thing is a cell phone? wowzorz

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
get something that is going to be dropped and potentially broken. Get a case and a waranty... I'd reccomend a blackjack II with a case... it worked REALLY well for me

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
You CAN have the iPhone with ATT... I'm on T-mobile with the iphone, which is cheaper than ATT for the same things.

A funny thing you'll notice in EMS / medicine in general is that the vast majority of people will have either an iPhone or another type of smartphone. You will rarely ever see any old style flip phones anymore. Atleast in my experience ^_^

Dang. I hate tmobile too... lesser of two evils.. *strokes chin*

Sasha

Forum Chief
Dang. I hate tmobile too... lesser of two evils.. *strokes chin*

His phone is unlocked, which is why he can't get MMS.

Just wait, Apple will be out of it's AT&T only contract soon. When it hits verizon... so getting it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I have a Treo 750 with Windows Mobile 6. I've had it for two years and I love it. I've kept it longer than any other phone I've had. It has great organizational features, and I have a couple of medical programs on it. I probably use the medical programs a minimum of once a shift, if not more.

I know the Treo is an older phone, but you may be able to find a refurbished one if you are on a budget and you like how it looks.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
the company i work for uses the verizon phones with walkie talkie. however, i do not have a walkie talkie phone, as i see no need for it. if they cant reach me on the truck phone, then they know my cell number. i would go for whatever phone iwanted.

fbsemssocial

Forum Probie
Phone

I have the bb storm and I love it, most departments have radios, but I have a couple programs that help me eprocates being one.