New Ohio ems law

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What I don't get is why people think it is ok for Nurses, techs, phlebotomists etc to do it, but not us? What is the difference?

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Because apparently we're unqualified and it's a danger to the patients, according to the critics mentioned in the article.

We're just EMTs. We'd need phlebotomy training.

Starting a line and pushing meds is one thing. Adding the tube would just be too much for us simple ambulance drivers :rolleyes:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
How much alcohol can the accused clear in two hour's time? Maybe enough to come in under the legal limit. Even if it's a one hour incident to blood draw time, it's still too much. It could be the difference from a .09 value to a .07. Having said that, I don't know if there's a presumptive measure that adjusts for the time delay in obtaining a blood draw, but still.....

People metabolize alcohol at different rates, so unless someone tests at 0.07 two hours later, (were I in a jury) I would never convict a person on that evidence.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've never had to do it, but it's in our protocols here. The companies I worked for never carried the tubes for the LE blood draws. They expected that if LE wants a blood draw, they'd provide the tubes. If I have to draw blood for LE, it's going to be on scene. LE hands me the tubes. I draw blood. I give tubes directly back to the LE Officer that handed me the tubes. Done. No evidence left in my ambulance. LE has control/custody of the tubes the entire time unless it's in MY hands for the draw.

Of course, I worked in areas where hospitals are close by, so... it's just easier to transport and have it done at the ED. In any event, if I'm involved at a crime scene in some manner, I expect that I might be asked to testify. No difference in testifying that I was there... or having to add that I drew blood. I'd have to be there anyway.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
Drawing blood doesn't make you go against advocating for the patient. Drawing blood, especially if you are already starting an IV, doesn't go against treating the patient in a way that harms or inhibits them getting better.

It's not like you tell the patient "I'm not going to give you any pain meds till you let me draw your blood"

Very true,

What concerns me about the idea is that patients who need IV's might refuse, due to us drawing blood in the process.

I believe DWI/DUI is a very severe offense; However, the public has many of misconceptions about EMS. Why add fuel to the fire?

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
I've never had to do it, but it's in our protocols here. The companies I worked for never carried the tubes for the LE blood draws. They expected that if LE wants a blood draw, they'd provide the tubes. If I have to draw blood for LE, it's going to be on scene. LE hands me the tubes. I draw blood. I give tubes directly back to the LE Officer that handed me the tubes. Done. No evidence left in my ambulance. LE has control/custody of the tubes the entire time unless it's in MY hands for the draw.

I haven't seen/heard of protocols for LE blood draws in my areas, but those seem fair.

Keep it in LEO supervision from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator: