New NREMT levels

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Either I'm blind or no one has posted this yet--

Got a letter today from "The Registry". Basically a newsletter of sorts. Inside I was surprised to find that they were changing the classifications around and getting rid of I/99 all together, and bumping them up to medics.

Now basics are just "EMT"s and Intermediates are "Advanced EMT"s.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I know I've seen this somewhere before. Maybe here. Personally, I don't see the problem with it. Also, EMT is dropped from Paramedic altogether. My medic book also is already using those titles

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
hmm I'm intrigued. I hope that i got that letter at home. Does it state what the extra requirements will be for the basics coming up? Good move, now hopefully states will follow as well.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
hmm I'm intrigued. I hope that i got that letter at home. Does it state what the extra requirements will be for the basics coming up? Good move, now hopefully states will follow as well.

Just going to do a paraphrase for fear of some gun-ho copyright advocate;

4 new provider levels starting in 2014;

First Responder becomes Emergency Medical Responder. 48-60 hours.

EMT-Basic becomes EMT. 150-190 hours. "Adding" on pulse ox, aspirin administration and 'other minor techniques'. I say "adding" because that was stuff already taught here in Texas, and maybe others schools too.

EMT-I/85 becomes Advanced EMT.

EMT-I/99 goes through a transition course and is bumped up to Paramedic.

Paramedic stays paramedic.

Maybe something Rid can answer. What is this "new approaches to patient assessment"?

wehttam

Forum Probie
Either I'm blind or no one has posted this yet--

Got a letter today from "The Registry". Basically a newsletter of sorts. Inside I was surprised to find that they were changing the classifications around and getting rid of I/99 all together, and bumping them up to medics.

Now basics are just "EMT"s and Intermediates are "Advanced EMT"s.

hmm your are blind :D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This was all discussed many months ago. (review my post on NREMT and Federal level changes). It is NOT the NREMT it is the NHTSA. National level there will be no longer an Intermediate or an EMT before the Paramedic wording. As well the EMT I/99 will be abolished NOT bumped up as stated, the existing ones can continue until they either fail to meet the re-registry requirements or extend into the Paramedic level. Again, this is on the National level NOT each state level; which maybe different.

Also there will be a required "transition" course for all levels excluding the Paramedic.

The levels actually are supposed to take sooner, implementng this year.
R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
it will also vary by state. in tennessee, i am an emt-iv, which is somewhere between a b and an i. we do not have either one of those. they are talking about making our iv advanced.