mm350

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone,
I have been working off shore in the gulf of Mexico for about a year now and have decided to get my EMT-B cert.
I wish to apply for a medic position.
I have in the past had various medical trainings and certs but was long time ago.
Problem is I live in gulf Port Mississippi and since hurricane Katrina the area is still recovering, I have only so far found a community college offering training and I work 3 weeks off shore at a time. California has that 14 day program but a bit pricey and I don’t think I'm disciplined enough for the internet course.
Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated....

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
1. An EMT-B certification does not qualify you for a Medic position.

2. Offshore medics are not new to the profession, they typically have many years experience in EMS as well as advanced training in other facets such as antibiotic therapy, simple suturing, occupational physicals, ENT exams, hernia exams, basically anything you may expect to see your family physician do in the office. I am no way saying their education is similar, only stating a lot of the skills are similar.

3. If you wish to pursue this profession as a career, then you are going to have to make a sacrifice at some point and give up your current position in order to attend school, since the online and crash course certs are not an option for you.

OP
OP
M

mm350

Forum Ride Along
The actual position I am going for is aboard a barge, with a EMT-B cert I have been told they will provide me the additional water survival, I can go a few ways, a medic is also the clerk or the safety officer on some.
The company is called Total Safety out of Texas, I have someone who works for them now who said they can get me in. They are a gen contractor and have a big demand for medical professionals.
I have decided to let go of my job and pursue this but would like to explore the fastest way before my funds run out.
The problem is finding something as close as possible.

OP
OP
M

mm350

Forum Ride Along
If anyone could give me any information on local programs I would greatly appreciate it....... even if its in corrasponding states within my area.....
looking to do this now....
Thanx.......

OP
OP
M

mm350

Forum Ride Along
Actually I am having problems finding a emt-b course around gulfport, ms. The community college links are so out dated and I get no reply from health department on if they would accept the self study programs, although on their web site a national web based program is listed ? but the closest comm. college is still being worked on ? and their scheduals are still showing fall of 2004 ????
any suggestions welcomed....

daviation28621

Forum Probie
Where did you find an internet course? I would like to take so I can qualify to take the exam. I went through a course at the community college a couple of years ago but never took the state exam. I want to take the exam so I can move on to the next level, but I don't want to do a 6 month community college course all over again.