New member logging in from Iraq

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Hi all, I'm an Army medic, currently stationed in Mosul, Iraq. Have my EMT-B, going to school to get my -P. Originally from Maine, spent time in Jacksonville, FL. I want to go back to FL to work 911 EMS once I'm done with active duty. If you want to know more just ask :)

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome!
Wondering, what is the difference between a army medic and a civillian paramedic?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome:

Army medics in the earlier stages are mostly Trauma trained: they can get NR-EMT-B as a Army medic without any more civilian training; just take the test and practical). As they get promotions and more classes, they get more medical training.
I work with Army medics; they can do chest tubes in the field on fellow military: (one day I want to take a critical soldier into a civilian hospital with a chest tube that was done in the field by a Military medic). {Doctor would have a cow.}

OP
OP
SixEightWhiskey

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Basically the difference is in where you can use all of your skills. The army provides a lot of paramedic level training, but as an army medic you're only allowed to utilize it on military personnel, and even then only mostly while you're deployed. There's certain trauma procedures we are taught that are on -P level, but our only civilian certification is NREMT-B.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Stay sharp.

You aren't home 'til you're home.
Welcome to the EMTLIFE playbox, bring your own trowel. Plenty of ex and currrent mil hanging around.