New Member EMT Question

antonio7983

Forum Probie
Hello to everybody , I just finished my class in June and I took the Emt-b National registry and I passed my test, My next question is what is next? I have to wait a week or 2 to get my Certification in the mail , but what is the next step , I really want to be a Emt but I dont know what to do next, ??? what are the steps once you complete national registry?

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
I know that of course thats what I want to do , But do I just go to companies and ask for applications? or how does it work? I heard i have to get a livescan and i have to go to the dmv and get an ambulance driving license?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to the forum!

If you passed your national registry, there is no reason why you can't go out and start looking for employment.

Surely you've noticed some local ambulance providers in your area? Call them up, explain your situation, and ask if they're hiring. If they say no, ask if they have suggestions for other local agencies/services. Find their number, call them up, and ask when you can come to interview or fill out an application. It wouldn't hurt to have a resume ready to go.

These days most ambulance providers have websites. Go to google and type "ambulance near 12345" but replace the 12345 with your zip code, and take away the quotes. Google will show you a map with all of the providers near that zip code. If they have a website, check it out, and see what the application/hiring process is like.

It would be helpful if you posted when you're from, as I'm sure some people could offer advice on local places that may be hiring.

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
Thanks a lot! I really appreciated it , thank you for reals! I will do that im so excited i always wanted to be an emt

wwrescueEMT

Forum Probie
You can usually just walk in to most places and ask for an application, emailing the chief or captain is also great for information gathering to find out how they do the application process (and gives them a chance to get to know you a little bit before they look at your application).
I don't think you actually need to get an liscence to drive an ambulance though. Most departments you get on will put you through a 6-8 hour EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Class), you'll get a certificate and you're good to drive without the worry of taking refreshers on it. If you're nervous about driving the ambulance, i'd suggest asking one of the officers to take you through the basics of the operation...the first time I had to drive an ambulance was before I even knew what evoc was, how to work half of the gadgets up front, or how to get to the hospital....and it was a call where we had to go lights and sirens and get there as fast as possible...definitely not the best was to learn how to drive. ;)
You're going to have to get a TB test when you join a department and you get re-tested each year...usually the department takes care of this at a meeting on a yearly basis when they do flu shots.

Good luck!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Antonio, it sounds like you're in California.
After passing National Registry, and getting your card, you need to get your county EMT-1 card. For that, most likely you'll need a live scan. Google "[your county] EMS" without the quotes, and substituting your county, that will give you all the requirements, as well as how to actually apply.
After that, most local companies want you to have your State Ambulance Driver License, before you apply. This is a test and another live scan. Go to the DMV website for more information.
Once you have your county and NR cards, that's when you can start applying to local ambulance companies, if that's what you want. Fire is a bit different.

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
Yeah Im in San Diego , I googled up the Livescan and I called this place and they told me i Needed the live scan form from where I was going to work at ?? I was totally lost there so I dont know what he was talking about , I thought u walked in paid a fee and took your prints and thats it , but he said I needed a Form from which where I was going to apply totally Lost

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, you're in San Diego, which means, you'll probably want a San Diego county card. Do you have that?

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
No I dont have it , I just have my Cpr Card and i took EMT-B the class then passed it , then on Friday july 28th i took my National Registry exam and Yesterday I found out i Passed it , in the website , and that I would be receiving in 3 business days a packet. I dont know what to do next , thank all of you guys I really appreciate it so much You dont have an idea, but I dont even know what that County card your tellin me about

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Google "San Diego EMS" without the quotes... Your instructor didn't cover any of this?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
You'll do it ma'am? :p

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Patients only have a handful of minutes to judge you, and how you speak and communicate with them will have a tremendous impact on their view of both the care you provided and EMS in general.

You'll find that a big part of being an EMT is professional communication. You'll absolutely want to make sure that your spelling is correct when writing run reports, and you'll want to sound competent when you're speaking with patients and fellow medical professionals.

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
Very nice matt thanks for looking out , I think I would have to work on that, does anybody on here have aim messenger or yahoo?

NickD

Forum Crew Member
>> but I dont even know what that County card your tellin me about<<

Unlike most states California certifies its EMTs on a county by county basis. So if you want to work in San Diego County you'll need a San Diego County EMT certification. If you want to work in Los Angeles or Riverside counties you'd need their certifications.

The San Diego EMS website is here:

http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/ServiceDetails.asp?ServiceID=546

On that page you'll find instructions for applying, the application form, and the Live Scan form.

The Ambulance driving certificate is something you get from the DMV.

The information for that is here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/ambu_drvr_cert.htm#livescan

The DMV has an Ambulance handbook (for $5.00) so you can study for the written. There is no road test. (The training and final permission to actually drive an ambulance rests with the agency that employs you). You'll also need medical exam and a medical card you'll need to carry with you in addition to the ambulance driver's certificate.

Finally, while at the DMV, get a copy of your driving record. There are two versions and you want the one that goes back ten years. The DMV will automatically check this before issuing you a driver's cert, but you employer will also want a copy. When you apply at the DMV they will give you the live scan form you need.

If you want to study the ambulance written test online go here:

http://www.amr-evoc.com/evoc/dmv/review.mv

Study the above very carefully, wink, wink!!!

And no, you aren't done yet.

Most private ambulance companies will put you through an interview, a written exam, and a physical agility and strength test. Possibly even another live scan.

I won't knock the school you attended because you passed the NAEMT test, but they really should have explained all this to you . . .

Good luck!

NickD :)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
never too early to start working on your CEU's either.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
>> but I dont even know what that County card your tellin me about<<

Unlike most states California certifies its EMTs on a county by county basis. So if you want to work in San Diego County you'll need a San Diego County EMT certification. If you want to work in Los Angeles or Riverside counties you'd need their certifications.

NickD :)

(bolding is mine)

Sorry, Nick, the bold is wrong. The state of California does not certify EMTs, they leave that to the individual counties. However, you only have to certify in 1 county, as an EMT anyway. For paramedics, apparently, it's different.

OP
OP
A

antonio7983

Forum Probie
Hey guys so I went to the Dmv got My livescan form from the Dmv and the Application form to fill out on the day of the ambulance test, I purchased the Ambulance book for $5.00 and I got a Driving Printout Report of my record. All I need to do is study and try to pass it , damn it lol. oh well , im guessin by friday ill have my certification in the mail so ill wait it out . I also need to go and get my livescan so Ill do that tomorrow , It's separate theres a livescan I have to do before i take my ambulance test at the dmv , then another separate one for when i get my county emt card . Thank you guys.