New here

bourne01

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I’m Ronnie. I am a parent to two children with a lot of specialized needs and I just passed my NREMT about two weeks ago and I also received my state certification from California a few days later.

I’m an EMT-B and I’m just now learning how much is involved trying to find a job now that I’ve become certified. I thought there were a ton of jobs available and I found out quickly that isn’t necessarily the case. I am planning to obtain my AEMT and/or my Emt-I but first things first-I want to get back to work.

All of that said, I’m actively looking for work, and just applied for my Utah license and I’m in the works to expand my certification to a couple other states...I’m thinking Texas and Washington state at least.

If anyone has any advice I’m all ears.

Thanks for having me.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I’m an EMT-B and I’m just now learning how much is involved trying to find a job now that I’ve become certified. I thought there were a ton of jobs available and I found out quickly that isn’t necessarily the case. I am planning to obtain my AEMT and/or my Emt-I but first things first-I want to get back to work.
ronnie, there are TONs of jobs (although I have heard that the market is incredibly flooded in california, especially socal), but you need to remember, it's still a field with a relatively low entry requirement, which results in a TON of applicants, for a low paying position. Plus you have 0 experience, and you are going up against people with more experience. And, there might be a lot of jobs, but many of them suck, or are for sucky companies, or even suckier pay
All of that said, I’m actively looking for work, and just applied for my Utah license and I’m in the works to expand my certification to a couple other states...I’m thinking Texas and Washington state at least.
honest advice? get a job. if you want to work in texas or washington state, apply for a job there (many well accept you pending a state license). Some won't even grant you a state license to an out of state person until you have a job or have relocated into that state.

Many places don't care for AEMT, or don't pay you any more, and a lot of people will tell you not to even waste your time. if you want to move, research the EMS jobs in the are you are moving to, but don't move until you have that job offer in hand.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Welcome Bourne :) The Dr is right. Skip the AEMT and save up for your P card. AEMT is great for volunteer work but paid gigs rarely care. Texas is a decent place for medics (and basics). Here in Houston you'll always have a job and the cost of living is reasonable at least compared to most of California. You'll wanna step up to paramedic as quickly as possible though. There are a few services here in Houston that will put you through medic school after you've been a basic for a while, or at least reimburse you for school. Good luck!