New here, starting Kiamichi Tech soon.

uglyjon

Forum Probie
I will be starting EMT school in August. I have been meaning to do this for a couple of years but I haven't had the money to pay for school and this year I do so I am jumping on it. My training is going to be 256 hours with 12 hours of clinicals/ride along. Ride along and clinicals will be split up between local EMS and a local ER. Is this a high end on the hours of training for EMT-B? I have looked at other schools and they are 120 to 150 hours of training so 256 hours seems like it is a lot, also is 12 hours of ride along normal?

P.s. Any Arkies or Okies on this forum that have attended Kiamichi tech's EMT program? They have several schools located over western Oklahoma and that is where I am attending.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

I think you'll find that your program is consistent with other programs out there. I spent approximately 200 hours in the classroom and 72 hours participating in clinical shifts (36 in the ER, 36 on an ambulance).

I'll leave it to the other forum members from Oklahoma to fill you in on your program and other programs in the state.

Good luck!

OP
OP
U

uglyjon

Forum Probie
Thanks, I hope some on here have been to the school

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
These are probably questions best asked of your instructor(s). Did you get a course syllabus?

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
I had to have 16 hours of er and 86 of bls&als ambulance with both types of services... im to the north of you in missery(; i beleve i had 276 hours.

OP
OP
U

uglyjon

Forum Probie
Did you get a course syllabus?

I have not, I live 45 minutes away from the school so driving there just to get a syllabus is almost silly (though I plan to drive for 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back 3 times a week:blink:)

OP
OP
U

uglyjon

Forum Probie
Were any of you trained how to drive the Ambulance during EMT training? Or is that something I have to get extra?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
These are all questions that you're going to want to ask your school. I'm perplexed why you would need to drive 45 minutes to get a syllabus, I'm sure they can email it to you.

I think you'll find that you won't be driving an ambulance until you're insured by your service. As a student they aren't likely to put you on their insurance plan.

OP
OP
U

uglyjon

Forum Probie
I'm perplexed why you would need to drive 45 minutes to get a syllabus, I'm sure they can email it to you.

This is true, but I have yet to meet the instructor of the course and would like to spend some time asking her questions and so on. Every time I go there I talk to the secretary who is a nice lady but I would like to have some face time with the woman who will be teaching my class before I begin my class.