New guy wants to be a EMT

pitbull30

Forum Ride Along
Hello, This is a great forum you guys have going here.

I have some new guy questions.

I am interested in getting my EMT certification. I dont really know where to start or what materials I should buy to start studying. I have seen so many books online and other study guides but I dont really have the cash to test them out.....Which books or programs would you recommend???

Also I plan to attend a EMT course here in Los Angeles somehwere. I havent figured out where yet...There is a few places in my area that do them.

I am wondering how long is the average to complete the EMT certification? I know it will take everyone a different amount of time depending on study etc, But what is the average ammount of time?

What is the most difficult part of study for the new guys? Or is the whole thing a challenge for us?? Any other info you can provide will be great. In the meantime I will be browsing the old posts..........................

Thanks!!!!!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
HEY Welcome here!!

In my opinion...which I LOVE to give...the best book you can buy is the book required for the class. Mine used Brady Edition 10. It will have everything you need for the class and to pass your NR/State exam in it.

My course was 6 months long.

The most difficult part...hmm....I would say chapters 1-30.

No really...it was all a great wonderful challenge. If your hearts in it you will do great. It takes practice.

If you can, join a local vollie squad. They are great for gaining expireience and can also help when its study time.

I went into it with a base knowledge and am very grateful I had it. I gained my base from vollie expirience.

Again WELCOME!!! Please stay a while, enjoy the conversation, and whatever you do....dont encourage/feed/pet/or in any way pester the "JON" :p

OP
OP
P

pitbull30

Forum Ride Along
WOW. Thanks for the quick reply.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Vollie squad? or the JON?

PS I like your signature line. I wish I had that mentality again...

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Vollie Squad - Volunteer. Either FD or EMS or Both. I don't know much about the 51st state of LA, but I am sure someone can tell you if there are any. Other wise a google search might find one.

The "Jon" - well here... The JON

and Thanks. We should all be a little happier in the mornings...Before Coffee...

So tell us more about you.

What do you do now?
Why you want to be an EMT?
Where are you from?
Are you a man or a mouse? (or female)
Are you married?
Kids?
Pets?
Hobbies?
Fav Color?
Fav Food?
Are you Eye Candy?
How about a Pic on your Profile?
Fav song?
Do you know about this mythical Show "Emergency" these guys are so fond of?
Where are you from originally?

That should do it.

Oh..btw...I work this god awful 3rd shift...and this is what happens to you when your up to long, with not enough sleep, on pain killers and caffiene and just ate the Potatoe/Ham/Broccolli concoction in the cafe.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Princess did a good job answering your question so I won't add too much.

Six months is about average, just what you were asking. There are rush courses, something like six weeks and you're done, but few are for it. Then there are year long courses as well. I would hate to be going to a class like that. "get it over with already!"

Again, welcome to EMTLife! Feel free to wonder around and ask lots of questions. There are people from a wide range of training levels and experiences here, such as industrial safety background like myself and SafetyPro to those that run the streets (too many to mention) to those with tons of experience and knowledge (Cpt, Ryder, etc.)

Good luck!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Again WELCOME!!! Please stay a while, enjoy the conversation, and whatever you do....dont encourage/feed/pet/or in any way pester the "JON"
C'mon... I'm not that bad.

Welcome.

My EMT course was 3 months - class 2 nights a week, and 3 Saturday sessions.

As for a study guide - best thing is to get the textbook ahead of time. Talk with the director of whatever course you want to take, and then ask what book they use, and what book they will use for your class. See if you can either borrow one, or buy one ahead of time.

Jon

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Take a 6 month course! A year would be unbearable, but the 2 or 6 week courses do not give you enough practice time or seasoning to be effective when the real thing happens. Princess is right about the volunteer thing, even if there are no FD's or ambulance services that are volunteer. Go volunteer at the hospital after you start class. You need to get patient contact to be effective.

With the course you should automatically get all the materials you need, but the course w/ books will cost at least $450 dollars, which a FD will generally pay for if you commit to a length of service.

Again, make sure you do as much time in an EMS setting as possible to get comfortable with patient contact as you can. You are going to have situations where you have to override yours and the patients modesty when out in the field and that is very difficult if you do not have experience.

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
Welcome..My EMT class is offered at the university it meets 8hours a week...(two days four hours each) and it lasted an entire college semester, about 4 or so months. Best advice to give is to read chapters before class meets. Another tip I wish I would of known before starting work would be to make sure instructors during lab time show you how to perform basic duties outside of normal pt care (ie. inside an ambulance-how to operate the suction unit, how to use the monitor for B/P, and setting up IV lines) other than that talk to local EMTs about protocols that might not be discussed in class. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

pitbull30

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies. I will try to dig up some of the references you guys recommeded.

EMT pricess questions:

What do you do now? security former military
Why you want to be an EMT? personal goal and career goal
Where are you from? L.A
Are you a man or a mouse? Man
Are you married? Y
Kids? Y
Pets?Y
Hobbies? Not right now.
Fav Color? Blk
Fav Food? Mex
Are you Eye Candy? Sometimes when not working nights
How about a Pic on your Profile? Naaaa..
Fav song? My favorites change alot....
Do you know about this mythical Show "Emergency" these guys are so fond of? NO
Where are you from originally? L.A..

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Born and raised in LA and he doesn't know what Emergenncy is? :eek:

[yoda] I fell sorry for the new one. Taught lesson he will have done onto him. Hmmm? [/yoda]

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Nov 16 2005, 06:20 AM

[yoda] I fell sorry for the new one. Taught lesson he will have done onto him. Hmmm? [/yoda]
my thoughts exactly, chimp.

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Chimpie@Nov 16 2005, 07:20 AM

ROFL!!! :lol:

Pitbull,

:D :D :D WELCOME!! :D :D :D

Everything that has been said is about all you need to know. Welcome to the group, hope to see you stick around.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by pitbull30@Nov 16 2005, 05:27 AM

Do you know about this mythical Show "Emergency" these guys are so fond of? NO..
:eek:

Goes into whacker shock... faints... :eek:
icon5.gif

OP
OP
P

pitbull30

Forum Ride Along
We have some comedians here huh...
:D

***Pic of myslef uploaded for your personal amuzement. I was having a bad hairday no shower in awhile either...

--------

On the side note. I talked to the instuctor for the local EMT course in my area and he said the book they use is Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, 9th edition along with BLS for Health Care Providers.

How often do these books change as far as the edition etc? Anyone have these books for their course? Any other book recommendations?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
speaking of pics - does anyone else here play on "myspace"???

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I can't believe I'm admitting this... but what is "my space"????

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by joemt@Nov 18 2005, 03:39 PM
I can't believe I'm admitting this... but what is "my space"????
Well, it means that you either can't score with the members of the opposite sex, or you lead an alternative lifestyle.

P.S. I'm only kind of joking