New guy waitin' on school...

MDewell

Forum Probie
Hello everyone!

I've got a confession to make...I've been trolling these forums for about 2 weeks now, and I finally decided to register. Sorry! :)

Anyways, I'm a 32 y/o male here in Oklahoma workin for a refinery in a warehouse. Because of my family's history with nursing/emt's I decided I wanted to go to school to become an EMT. Locally, the only class offered here is an EMT-Basic class. So, I'm just waitin for the class to start up. First class is 3-1-10 and goes until 6-16-10.

I'm looking forward to the class, and I really hope it gets me out of this warehouse. I've been talking to local EMT's and Fire Chiefs and they've all said the same thing...I'm on the right path.

I guess what I wondered is this...for all the new EMT's out there that took about the same class a year ago, where are you now? Were your expectations met in the class? Are you working as an EMT now?

Thanks. Wish me luck in the upcoming school session!

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome aboard and good luck in your class. It will surely be an experience for you, if you haven't had any dealing with EMS. I would recommend joining a local volunteer rescue squad and start getting hands on experience. This will help you greatly in your class. As far as me, I've been an EMT since 2003, but I don't work as an EMT. I have ran with a volly service for over 13 years now.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hello everyone!

I've got a confession to make...I've been trolling these forums for about 2 weeks now, and I finally decided to register. Sorry! :)

Anyways, I'm a 32 y/o male here in Oklahoma workin for a refinery in a warehouse. Because of my family's history with nursing/emt's I decided I wanted to go to school to become an EMT. Locally, the only class offered here is an EMT-Basic class. So, I'm just waitin for the class to start up. First class is 3-1-10 and goes until 6-16-10.

I'm looking forward to the class, and I really hope it gets me out of this warehouse. I've been talking to local EMT's and Fire Chiefs and they've all said the same thing...I'm on the right path.

I guess what I wondered is this...for all the new EMT's out there that took about the same class a year ago, where are you now? Were your expectations met in the class? Are you working as an EMT now?

Thanks. Wish me luck in the upcoming school session!

I took the EMT class last semester, and now I'm just waiting on the state test. I'm working with my EMS team on campus, and I will hopefully be working for an ambulance company during the summer and through the next few years of college, as well as volunteering (yes, it's volunteer. It sucks, but soon we might get paid). I will probably run for the vice-president position of the EMS club at the next election, later this semester.

As far as the class goes, I was actually surprised by how little is taught. It's a sad state of affairs when someone tasked with the ultimate responsibility has so little education and training. I mean, except for a few things, the main treatment a basic provides is oxygen and transport. Is that really what's best for the patient? Don't just stop at EMT-B. Get an education, and go to paramedic school. Don't just be an EMT for years unless you have a valid reason (not just "I'm trained enough.").

Good luck in school! Ask questions here and learn from everything. If you run across a word or condition you don't know about, and you have time, research it! You'll learn a surprising amount from self-research.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaneomac1202

Forum Probie
Glad I found this thread, I was going to start a similar one. I'm in the same postion as the OP. I'm taking advanced first aid this semester starting tonight.

I've been messing around with career paths for a while now and decided to give this a shot. I figure I really like helping people and EMS would be good for me. Aside from browsing this forum, any insight or information regarding EMS would be greatly appreciated. What exactly am I getting myself into?

Thanks,

Shane

kermit

Forum Crew Member
I'm kind of in the same boat. classes here don't start till august.I'm so amped up about starting a new carer. I'm looking for anything I can get my hands on to study. If found several study aids but unless I know for sure what book the college will be using, I could do more harm than good. I'm afraid there will be just enough differences in the procedures that it will throw me off when it comes to school. I have been studying medical abbreviations and know about half of them,that cant hurt right? I plan to go to the local volunteer fire dpt. and check into the first responder programs and see what kind of school I can get myself into. Right now I have time to do these kind of things. Anyone have any suggestions what or where I can study or take a class that will be helpful down the road in the ems field. Is there some online classes that would be good for me?

The instructor at the College said ,around here most ambulance services will use someone part time to see how well they get along with the current crew.
Would It be a good Idea to Maybe :) I know its not a popular word but (Volunteer) at the service for a few weeks dispatch training,or just helping out in general. It might let everyone get to know me so I can go straight to work instead of having a part time status for several weeks starting off? Its just an Idea. I'm 43 years old and I cant remember being this excited to do anything, so any ideas would be appreciated. cheers!!!

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Ask your school what book you will be using. They should be able to tell you. Are you going to use financial aid to get your books? If so you will still have to wait to get your book. But if your buying the book yourself you should be able to find a good used one. Get it as soon as you can and start studying studying. Congrats to all of you in starting your education.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
I plan to buy the book myself, and pay for the class also.The college hasn't told the instructor what book yet, so I will have to wait.He has my name and number on a post it note on his computer screen and plans to call as soon as he knows. I have decided to wait and not do the online class and The Texas 14 day hands on thing we talked about. The wait will kill me though,till then I'm working out and studying the Abv. Tomorrow I'm going to take the compass test to determine that I can read and comprehend. That will give me something to do. LOL thanks responses.

al.emt

Forum Probie
im 19 and 2 months into the EMT-B class. and i love every minute of it. I volunteer for the Rescue Squad and have a job lined up for me at the Huntsville Hospital (level 1 trauma center). Stick with it!!!! its a hard class in that short of time. they shove everything in ur face... i have 2 tests a week and only go 3 days a week. Mon, Wed, and Thurs. 9-1. But once u start to learn the basics and get ur foot in the door it starts to become a breeze! Make sure you get ur EVOC though.

OP
OP
MDewell

MDewell

Forum Probie
update

Just thought I'd give an update..

So we started school a few weeks ago. First day was 1 class of about 20 or so. We basically were there to get our books and go over the schedule for the year. Then we found out which class of 2 we were split up into. My class has about 9 people, the other class is the teacher that's been there awhile...lol..anyways, got the 11th edition books (yellow w/workbook) and started lookin it over.

So we went to the smaller classes for about a week before spring break got out. Covered chapters 1, 2, 3, and 5...Chapter 4 is a big one, so we saved it for this week.

Also, we found out that we need to get our background checks and shot records done. We did find out that if you have any kind of violent/substance abuse background, don't bother going to this class. In Oklahoma, they can't give you a license, especially if your a repeat offender.

Otherwise, we're all excited about what's to come. Clinicals won't start for a little while, but we did find out we need a few items (stethescope, blue or black slacks) for them. They provide a polo tee shirt with the star on it.

Anyways, there's a quick update...

OP
OP
MDewell

MDewell

Forum Probie
Oh...I also did find out locally here that out of the last class (18 graduated, 28 started) and this class (20 or so) that there will be 1 job, possibly 2, to fight over here in this county during the course of 2010.

That got me looking at other areas. I've been eye'n EMSA in Oklahoma City...25K to start, plus they'll send you to class to become a paramedic, as long as you work for them for another 2 years or so...

Anyone done this with EMSA before?

OP
OP
MDewell

MDewell

Forum Probie
thanks for the PM's on EMSA...it's definitely something I'm checking out once I (hopefully) pass the registry.

Another update...last week we covered the cardiovascular system, and we have a pretty big test on Tuesday.

This Thursday we are out of school, which pushed our test and CPR class up a few days...so once we get done with the test, we get to cover CPR.

We watched a video last night from the AHA in regards to CPR, AED's and the flow of response in regards to a cardiac patient and how, as a group, the flow should go. It was pretty interesting and definitely got us psyched up.

Took our first real test last night too over Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 5 in the 11th edition book. I got an 80%, which isn't a bad start I suppose, but I can do better.

We started with 8 students, we're down to 6. I'm not sure why the 2 are MIA, but as of now, no-one has a clue if they've dropped or if they were just absent.

Well...I'm off for now.

Last edited by a moderator: