New emt

Tyrogrs94

Forum Ride Along
so I finished school in January, I also got knee surgery in January so I couldn’t work. I’m about to start looking for a job, but I do not want to look dumb on the first day once I get hired, anything I should go over before I start working ? Thanks

Tbjdragonz

Forum Ride Along
I just got hired on to an ambulance and feel that my 2 months I had to spend working through an investigation for my cert (refer to my first post if you are wondering) took some memory from me too, but I have a couple apps on my phone that honestly help me out a lot with practicing information that I learned in my EMT class. If you have a smart phone, check out the screenshot I attached. They are Android apps but if you have iPhone, I know that a few of them are available to you, as well as iPhone only apps that could help. They have free quizzes and references that show medication info, illnesses, etc..

Another source is https://www.fisdap.net. (but you do have to pay for this one). My class was given a key for access to this site that we paid for in our materials fee, I think it was, alone, about $30 or something. It contains information for review and also is the most closely relatable source for practice and word familiarization to the NREMT exam. It is one of the biggest helpers if you ever need to retake or have a friend who needs to take the nremt test because the wording is very similar, in my opinion.

If you're looking for free, though, definitely check out the apps. They are awesome!

Last suggestion is to Google anything you have a question about and add 'emt' to the end, it usually takes you to an EMT forum where paramedics or other EMTs share there knowledge to others who wondering about the items in question (i.e., contraindications of nitroglycerin, CPR questione, etc.)....orrr refer to the book and look up whatever you feel unfamiliar with. Good luck! :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180708-122903__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20180708-122903__01.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 307

Lo2w

Forum Captain
IFT or 911?

If it's transports you'll be lucky to get a day or so of orientation before it's sink or swim.

911 tends to be decent about a period of time as a 3rd working with some type of FTO.

Probably the big things:

- know what you don't know. Ask for help if you haven't touched something for a while. Play with the stair chair and cot in the bay before you take a run. Know how your monitor works.

- know how to take a good set of manual vitals. If you can't hear the BP try again or palp it. Don't BS it and be honest with your partner.

- know your way around. Major routes, major streets. Know your directions, landmarks and how to orient yourself. Don't be afraid to use your GPS but don't rely on it.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Nope. Just be honest about being new. Speak up when you aren’t sure how something works. Ask for help when you need it. Be open minded and learn.