New EMT

sjlamb77

Forum Probie
Hey guys! I've enjoyed reading through this forum quite a bit. I'm taking classes this summer to become an EMT-B. Do you guys have anything you wish you had studied more in your schooling? Books you wish you read? Questions or procedures you feel like the school doesn't prepare you enough for? Also, I don't have any A&P training. Should I wait until I get the basics in class, and then try to expand that in my own time?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I highly recommend getting the textbook you'll be using and start reading. If your class provides the book, then get another reputable textbook and start studying. It can't hurt (it helped me immensely). Also, get a Kaplan review book for the NREMT exam —:censored:that helps a lot.

My background: I just finished my EMT course and just (yesterday) passed my national registry cognitive and practical.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Hey! I'm starting EMT-B this fall, so I won't be far behind ya.

I know for A&P, I'm going to grab a study guide soonish, and I've heard good things about Kaplan and Berkeley. Also, believe it or not, I've heard a lot of success stories involving the A&P coloring book. Dead serious.

homingmissile

Forum Crew Member
I'll be starting EMT-B class in about a month and I picked up the textbook we're going to be using (Pre-hospital Emergency Care from Brady) so I can go through it before class and another textbook (Emergency Care also by Brady) to compare and also because it only cost a penny on Amazon.

DitchDoctor44289

Forum Probie
Read everything you come accross. I went through class and devoted everything to it. Remember the person that suffers from lack of effort is the patient.

awesomemedic

Forum Probie
Everything you need to know you will be taught in class so don't worry about that. Just pay attention. If you want to study before hand that's great but you'll probably be upset because "the class goes too slow." Ask lots of questions and make full use of your preceptors. They are there to guide you so let them. Just my $0.02