New EMT-B...did you feel lost?

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
I just found out that I passed my State test to be licensed as an EMT-B. Thanks alot everyone here for the help on this forum.

Now for my main question. Just coming out of school did you feel lost? I mean I did ok in the class but I feel like if I was put on the job that I wouldn't be able to do very well..did anyone else feel this way just out before they got a job?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey

Quackers
If you don't feel lost, then you aren't human.

Just wait till you go on to be a Paramedic if you decide to. You'll start to realize you are the person in CHARGE of everything. If that don't get the nerves unsettled then you REALLY aren't human

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't feel lost, then you aren't human.

Just wait till you go on to be a Paramedic if you decide to. You'll start to realize you are the person in CHARGE of everything. If that don't get the nerves unsettled then you REALLY aren't human

Then you get to look forward to the day your FTO releases you into the wild... man, what a scary feeling.

OP
OP
H

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
Good I was hoping it wasn't just me. I'm planning on applying to places as soon as my license arrives and the thought of me actually getting a job an going out an doing what I can to help just sounds crazy at thought. I guess the learning part is really about to begin.

sway1

Forum Ride Along
I'm right there with ya hurt88. I also just found out I passed state test. I guess experience will come in time for us..Cograts and best of luck to you

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm in the same boat. I'm volunteering at a 911service that uses equipment and protocols that I never even heard of in class. It's all I can do to pick it up on the fly, but I'm managing. I'm about a month in now and I finally feel like I'm part of the team and not just in the way. Give it time.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The "lost" feeling never really goes away completely. You just get better at controlling it and it becomes less frequent the more experience you gain.

mrdelacampa

Forum Probie

It's fun I thought I was going to feel lost
But a lot of my family is in the fire or ems

And after passing national test I applied and
Recently got a job. My best advice don't worry
About feeling lost think of it this way.
You passed the class learned some thing there
Passed your test and skills proved something
There.

You're not lost. Just new and anxious.
When I did my ride alongs I was put on the spot
On my first call. Best advice. Trust yourself. Don't over think
Things you have skills in your bag of tricks (everything you learned from class
Pqrst sample o2...whatever)
and whenyou feel lost
Go into your bag and watch your hands and mouth do the work.

Hope it makes sense.
Getting your hands dirty and asking questions is the best thing you can do

Gabe0725

Forum Crew Member
Totally feel ya on this 1. I'm still a newbie. Been vollying w/2 agencies in NY & combined work times w/both agencies, it took me about 2/3 tours before I was even brave enough just to do vitals. Not that I didn't know how to do it but just the fact that basically, "all eyes are on you" can be a little intimidating. But you'll be fine w/practice on your own time & in real situations. Definitely ask questions. Don't be scared to ask anything. Have fun!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Chew on This One!

Being lost is both essential and secondary to what you will find!

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
The "lost" feeling never really goes away completely. You just get better at controlling it and it becomes less frequent the more experience you gain.

Well put.

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
When in doubt as BLS...

Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

O2, vitals, history, package, go.