New EMT-B any advice?

Pittgorilla

Forum Ride Along
I have currently just become certified as an EMT-B. I have had 3 or 4 shifts already but we live in a small community and the calls are more absent than not. I usually work with another EMT and one Paramedic, however my next shift it is just me (emt) and a paramedic. I am nervous, does anyone have any advice for me. Thanks!!!!

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
I am no vet by any means. I am finishing my rideouts with my first ambulance company. The only advice I can give with water still behind my ears is, get in there. The more you get in the action or in the mix the more comfortable you will become. Also ask questions and dont be offendened easily. I ask for feedback, I want to become a great EMT B then transition into a medic, God willing. Its all in your attitutde and why you are there. Dont be lazy and youll do great.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't crash the ambulance.

If you don't know how to do something don't fake it! Ask for help.

Don't be lazy.

It's not your emergency so calm the heck down.

It is extremely rare that something is truly so life-threatening at a couple minutes will make the difference, so take your time, be methodical, ask questions, listen to the medic's assessment, talk to them after the call asking them what they want you to do and if they have any feedback.

Bring a smile to work, show up early check off the truck and have a good time!

Also, if the medic is trying to nap please don't bombard them with questions. We had a student the other day that chattered non-stop for the whole 12 hours. Usually I'm happy to have students or new employees on the box but the shift after a shift that we got off 3 hours late from is not the shift you want to end up riding along on. It's understandable that you are excited but you have to realize these crews do this full time as a career and sometimes they need a chance to try to catch up on some sleep, hw, reading or something of the sorts.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Don't make up vital signs. If you can't hear a BP or feel a HR, ask someone else to try it out. Listen to what everyone has to say, take it, and change it up so that it will work for you.

Don't be a toolbag.

Last edited by a moderator:

FirNaTine89

Forum Ride Along
Don't crash the ambulance.

If you don't know how to do something don't fake it! Ask for help.

Don't be lazy.

It's not your emergency so calm the heck down.
I agree don't make stuff up your not going to know/remember how to do everything right away so take the time to ask questions and learn. We have all been new at this at one point. And not crashing is a very good start!

Remember if all of a sudden the you know what hits the fan don't be offended if your nudged out of the way it's just how things are in the beggining and as you get experience you'll be able to jump right in on the action.

Help out with station chores, having to be asked to do something because you were standing around watching is not a good way to gain trust.

Most importantly have fun and enjoy the wonderful world of EMS!

Welcome aboard.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Never get tunnel vision when dealing with a patient.

docmoods

Forum Probie
Pay attention to your medic and learn what he wants you to do, if you work with the same medic constantly he will want you to do things for him or want you to perform certain BLS skills while he performs more advanced treatments. Be a good learner and don't think you know everything yet, as a provider your always learning even after 20 years on the street you still won't know everything there is to know. As an fng (no offence intended) show your other providers that you know what your doing with confidence and dont make any enemys, get along with as many people as you can, they make great learning resources later on.