New drug blocks HIV from entering cells

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
" really don't care what they do in prison, we pay taxes anyway, as long as they are out of society. The only idea I liked for Gee-Dubbya was the prison camps where they lived in tents and only ate bologna sandwiches every day. Sure some can be reformed, and I'm all for that. But people who kill, who continue to commit crimes after they were "put through the system". Lock em up and throw away the key. Free Labor, if ya want, clean roads, hell put em on a chain gang for all I care, as long as they aren't out in the world making it a worse place to live. " --TTLWHKR

"Preach to us, Short, tell us why it's good that people die from mistakes. We all make mistakes in life, some people pay for it immediately, and some people pay for it for the rest of their short lives. If someone could reverse that mistake, sure to never make it again, why prevent that?" --TTLWHKR

The sheepish difference in response is astounding. So accourding to youre line of thought, they should only get the vaccine or treatment once? after that they should get the disease for keeps? Spreading HIV isnt making the world a worse place to live?

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Wingnut, sometimes that may just be the case. Good for you. I think that I looked for that for a while, maybe you just found the "one."

Stevo, we could go on for ever, regarding social engineering. I find it amusing that the talking heads on both side of the political spectrum think that this is "something" new. If you take the Judeo-Christian viewpoint, there was social engineering in effect from the time there were three points of view, i.e. God, Adam, and Eve. If you take the Evolutionary viewpoint, social engineering has been present farther down the evolutionary chain than we have recorded history. Either way, nothing changes, just more of the same old, same old.

Shorthairedpunk, I would definitely be open to statistics proving your viewpoints, i.e. "I guarantee you HIV is a major contributing factor in the limited growth of IV drug use," and "it is very hard for a heterosexual man to contract the disease in the course of normal sexual behaviours." However, I firmly believe that to have a productive discussion, I must both understand and respect the opposing view point. So at this point, I see no reason to continue this discussion.

FF, hey man, I lurk alot, I just don't really say much, well, usually, hey, next time I go to E. WA, you want me to pick up your boards at the view? ;)

luke

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
XXYOure right about that, you have no respect for others views.XX Reread his statement, disregard, this part

The evidence I have regarding the choice not to use needles is from extensive personal history of drug use (insert ignorant replies here). There are two major reasons that needles are avoided, the first is psychological in that alot of needle drug users get addicted to the needle itself, the sensation of injection, the second is contracting HIV, its amazing how many people are not scared of many of the othe diseases, even hepatitis, its fairly managable and not as socially unacceptable, but HIV concerns is the main reason that heroin has become so popular to smoke or snort verse inject even though the high is much more intense with injection, cocaine follows suit, though injection just isnt as popular. There are other reasons why people chose not to, but the fear of HIV is probably the top. (fear of needles is a big one too)

The peole who do these risky things anyway, are the same peole who would do stupid things regardles of how obviously ignorant they are, so no matter what is there to deter them they would have done it anyway.

As for the second thing you want numbers on, give me some time for the data

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk@Jul 14 2005, 10:38 PM
YOure right about that, you have no respect for others views.

Better read his post again, because that's not what he said.

You're personal experiences may shape your viewpoint about what happens in society around you, but for us to even attempt to understand it you need to have something more than
I guarantee you HIV is a major contributing factor in the limited growth of IV drug use (this is from personal experience, so dont even bother thinking youre more educated on street drug use because you read some book)

I have no doubt that HIV is a contributing factor to the limited growth of IV drug use (along with Hep C and a few other nasties out there), but for you to state that it is a MAJOR contributing factor is going to require you to show us some proof.

Also, just because you may or may not have used some street drugs in your past does NOT make you an expert on them any more than the rest of us that have to read books to understand them.

FF, hey man, I lurk alot, I just don't really say much, well, usually, hey, next time I go to E. WA, you want me to pick up your boards at the view?

Luno, you ever make it out to YTC as part of your training? I start work there with the WMD next week. PM me if you do head out that way.

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
Out of curiousity, how many drug users, not a couple hits off a joint, but actual hard core drug users, have you sat and talked to, gotten to know, discussed things other than "how much did you take?" or "do you know who stabbed you?"

me? hundreds if not thousands

the problem with books, is that the majority of them are inaccurate in their depictions, due to the fact that they are mostly written by peole who have only studied the drug cultures, not actually been a part of them. Thats not a bad thing on the authors part, but they can only make assumptions and educated guesses, the information they obtain from users alot of the time is false because of the lack of trust or that the user is there because they are forced to be there, honesty isnt realy a big factor in responses to "the man".

Ive come to find out, that for the most part drug treatments are a farce, all their glamorous ideas are mainly sugar pills that is all the person needed. Im not saying they dont help, im just saying that they dont help in the way they think they are helping. And they understand this in the fact that at one point they will all tell a client I cant help you if you dont help yourself.

That said, go to places like erowid.org and read the publications presented through the various links. Most arent medical texts. Look back in this thread about mainsteam medicine ousting all other forms of medicine, then think about the books you have read, and who wrote them, then tell me you still think all that compiled data to be accurate

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk@Jul 14 2005, 11:18 PM
Out of curiousity, how many drug users, not a couple hits off a joint, but actual hard core drug users, have you sat and talked to, gotten to know, discussed things other than "how much did you take?" or "do you know who stabbed you?"

Three to five a day, for two years when I worked at a hospital. Security would be involved from the beginning, and we would spend hours talking to the patients in an effort to avoid fighting them.

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/stats.htm#exposure

Exposure Category Estimated # of AIDS Cases, Through 2003
Male Female Total
Male-to-male sexual contact 440,887 - 440,887
Injection Drug Use 175,988 70,558 246,546
Male-to-male sexual contact
and injection drug use 62,418 - 62,418
Heterosexual contact 56,403 93,586 149,989
Other* 14,191 6,535 20,726

"At the end of 2003, an estimated 1,039,000 to 1,185,000 persons in the United States were living with HIV/AIDS, with 24-27% undiagnosed and unaware of their HIV infection.1"

"Heterosexual contact 56,403 93,586 149,989" shows heterosexual behaviour poses less risk to males than females

I trust CDC number much more than others

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk@Jul 15 2005, 12:18 AM
" really don't care what they do in prison, we pay taxes anyway, as long as they are out of society. The only idea I liked for Gee-Dubbya was the prison camps where they lived in tents and only ate bologna sandwiches every day. Sure some can be reformed, and I'm all for that. But people who kill, who continue to commit crimes after they were "put through the system". Lock em up and throw away the key. Free Labor, if ya want, clean roads, hell put em on a chain gang for all I care, as long as they aren't out in the world making it a worse place to live. " --TTLWHKR

"Preach to us, Short, tell us why it's good that people die from mistakes. We all make mistakes in life, some people pay for it immediately, and some people pay for it for the rest of their short lives. If someone could reverse that mistake, sure to never make it again, why prevent that?" --TTLWHKR

The sheepish difference in response is astounding. So accourding to youre line of thought, they should only get the vaccine or treatment once? after that they should get the disease for keeps? Spreading HIV isnt making the world a worse place to live?
There is a vast difference between knowingly committing a crime, and unknowingly contracting a disease. Your opinion is that people with AIDS should die to learn a lesson, my opinion is that they should not.

Your opinion is that people go to jail to be reformed, I agree, but I believe that people who are released and continue to break the law should be locked up..

I didn't say anything about AIDS, you just can't let it go.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk@Jul 15 2005, 12:18 AM

There is a difference between knowingly committing a crime, and unknowingly contracting a disease.

You're just trying to egg on a fight!