New CPR Standards

uglydan

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Question for everyone in the know. I was told when I went through my EMT-B program earlier this year that the witnessed/unwitnessed full arrest protocols were going away for adults. That in either situation you now want to get the AED going ASAP instead of waiting for a full two minutes of CPR. Does anyone who is a CPR instructor know if this is true?

The guidelines are actually somewhat vague about this. Partly it's because they're emphasizing team approaches now, so ideally one person is starting compressions immediately while another one preps (or retrieves, but you brought it in, right?) the AED and throws pads on and so forth. Partly it's because the evidence is pretty equivocal at this point and they're trying to get away from mandating certain practices with unclear benefit just for the sake of swinging their big stick. Use your noodle and manage the scene as best you can with the available resources, with the understanding that 1. Both interventions should occur as soon as possible, and 2. Compressions can usually be started before defibrillation, given adequate manpower.

Linear algorithms are so 2005.

Question for everyone in the know. I was told when I went through my EMT-B program earlier this year that the witnessed/unwitnessed full arrest protocols were going away for adults. That in either situation you now want to get the AED going ASAP instead of waiting for a full two minutes of CPR. Does anyone who is a CPR instructor know if this is true?

http://www.uccaribe.edu/ertc/2010Summary.pdf

Page 10 states:

When an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is
not witnessed by EMS personnel, EMS may initiate CPR while
checking the rhythm with the AED or on the electrocardiogram
(ECG) and preparing for defibrillation. In such instances, 1½
to 3 minutes of CPR may be considered before attempted
defibrillation. Whenever 2 or more rescuers are present, CPR
should be provided while the defibrillator is retrieved.

I wouldn't do CPR WHILE the AED analyzes, that part doesn't really seem to be worded well!

(N.B.: The above is from the AHA. I couldn't find it on their site for some reason!)

Back