New CMS signature guidelines

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone had any feed back on the new CMS signature requirements? We haven't had any complaints from patients but plenty from crews. Only time will tell whether claims will get paid or not.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I really did not find much difference in the requirements if one was properly performing it to begin with.

The only so called problem I have encountered is explaining that if the patient has altered mentation, staff members of medical facility such as nursing home, even hospitals can sign in portion II for the patient.

In segment III, yes one has to prove that the patient arrived in the ED. We always obtain a copy of the demographics as well as a written signature of whom received the patient. So now the nurse has to sign twice.

I personally like the new form, it is much clearer and precise. Apparently, there were some Medicare fraudulent claims that instituted the change.

I have found that most patients are understanding in regards to Medicare signatures... we had a nice chat with the crews.. don't get the signed, no money coming = no money going out!.. Hence: short term career..

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just wondering, since I've been out of the field for about 6 months, what exactly has changed? When I left, our PCRs had a spot for the patient's signature, the recieveing staff member's signature (I tried to get it signed even if it was just the patient signing twice if we were discharging home), and a spot on back for a declaration if the patient couldn't sign.

There was also the physician declaration of necessity for the non-emergent transports. Those had much lamentation from the crews when those were attached to the PCRs and required for all of the non-emergent, non-dialysis (billing took care of those) transports. There was also a handful of nurses who refused to sign those (an entire hospital was refusing actually) also.

OP
OP
A

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering, since I've been out of the field for about 6 months, what exactly has changed? When I left, our PCRs had a spot for the patient's signature, the recieveing staff member's signature (I tried to get it signed even if it was just the patient signing twice if we were discharging home), and a spot on back for a declaration if the patient couldn't sign.

There was also the physician declaration of necessity for the non-emergent transports. Those had much lamentation from the crews when those were attached to the PCRs and required for all of the non-emergent, non-dialysis (billing took care of those) transports. There was also a handful of nurses who refused to sign those (an entire hospital was refusing actually) also.

Here's one place to start. They can sum it up better than I can. http://www.pwwemslaw.com/content.aspx?id=321

JPINFV

Gadfly
Thanks for the link. It doesn't really look like they changed much based off of the sample forum since apparently part 3 can be taken care of by having the receiving facility sign your PCR. Based on my old place of work, I bet some ambulance companies are going to have a BIG problem billing medicare now.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The whole purpose of the change was because of Medicare fraud. This proves validation that the patient actually arrived at the hospital (ER or Hosp signature on PCR, as well as signing part III, and having either a copy of the demographics, part of the chart, or patient log from the ER.

Yes, it may be a pain but what else can one do? Medics will either play the game and adapt or find another profession. This is the only way EMS is going to be able to be reimbursed on Medicare payments.

R/r 911