New 911 would be medical-only ‘811’

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
New 911 would be medical-only ‘811’

Would a kinder, gentler version of the 911 emergency telephone system save more lives from heart attacks and brain attacks (strokes) than the current system?

Some emergency medicine experts think an “811” system could address one factor that makes people with heart attack and stroke symptoms delay getting help in a life-or-death-situation.

A call to 911 now triggers an all-out response that creates a real scene: Sirens and flashing lights; emergency personnel rushing in with equipment; neighbors, co-workers and bystanders gathering to gawk and speculate.

[Read More!]

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Isn't that the goal of 911? to keep the scene from occuring while having the patient get the correct amount of help that they need? It seems to me like an excuse to spend more money. I don't see the need.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
What about calls that need more than one agency? You could call it in as injuries from a fall, but it could actually be injuries from falling after being pushed down the stairs by your abusive significant other who just lit the house on fire. :D

(note I was kind and didn't assume that a boyfriend did it, I said "sig other" instead)

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I also don't see the need. What is 811 suppose to be....911 "light"?
:blink:

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I think it would be a big mistake. First off, people don't delay calling because they're afraid of fire engines showing up Code 3. They delay calling because they don't want to admit there's a problem, and calling for help requires admitting there's a problem.

Second, if I get dispatched for a medical emergency, I'm responding Code 3 regardless of what number they called. We've been toned out for "minor lacerations" that have turned out to be near amputations and "minor falls" that involved a 16 foot extension ladder. Trusting dispatch info blindly can be a very bad thing...unless one my fellow FFs is on-scene and saying its minor, I won't assume it is.

Third, even if its a minor injury, I want more than just one or two people on-scene. Even minor injuries usually require a patient-care person, someone to do paperwork and a couple people to assist. That's why the standard EMS response around here is a 2 person ambulance and a 3 or 4 person engine company. Yeah, in some cases you get a couple standing around doing nothing, but even someone with a minor injury can code from the shock if they have pre-existing conditions. When I worked in oil, for emergency response, our mantra was always "Its a lot easier to call-out too many people and have to send them home than it is to have too few and be scrambling."

Finally, its adding one more number for people to remember, and how many are going to call 811 when they should be calling 911, or vice versa. Even now, we get people condusing 411 with 911, and some cities have already added a 311 for non-emergency public service calls (road hazards, illegally parked cars, etc.). This just adds something more to the mix. The whole purpose of 911 was to make for one standard number to call in an emergency...be it a crime, a fire or a medical emergency.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
"Its a lot easier to call-out too many people and have to send them home than it is to have too few and be scrambling."

That is our way of thinking as well. It works most days. I have witnessed its failure on a medical call to a small mobile home. Scene command did not keep everyone who did not need to be there away and lastly out, and it was quite crowded.