Nervous About Quality Of Education (EMT)...

SocraticMethod

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Let me preface by thanking those who would reply, provide input...

So, I'm about 4 months removed from my emt course ( needing to stay with my current employer until now ). Having recently passed my nremt ( oddly with zero study for those four months, I did fail my first attempt on almost zero sleep and several hours drive to a testing center initially, however I have taken anatomy / physio / and tons of maths, chemistry etc.. to my benefit in this instance ), I'm preparing to apply for county and state certification as well as, naturally, applying to any open EMT positions in my area.

I can't help but take issue with the quality, extent let's say, of my training. My instructor was amazing, in fact inspiring me to consider a reasonable career term in EMS, advancing even to Paramedic ( though, my much longer term goal is to attain an MD / DO, PA ). In reviewing what others have gone through in their programs such as hospital clinical ( non requirement for me ), continuing ride alongs THROUGHOUT the initial EMT program ( I was only required 16 hours, and 8 at a clinic of sorts, opting instead to do 35 hours with an EMS service in my area ) etc... In addition, we didn't have much practice, or extended opportunity to gain familiarity with the tools of the trade. We had one practice dummy, applicable only for AED / CPR, and ran ZERO extrication procedures, or anything beyond mock scenarios ( mostly focusing on assessment skills ).

In summary, I'm not feeling very confident about approaching an employer. I expect they are going to hold me accountable for most of the summary information ( which I have retained the CRITICAL aspects, and will be reviewing texts in the meantime ) and processes, and the only loose experience I can relay is really what took place during my short period with the ambulance company. Do any users here feel as though I might benefit from enrolling in another course, possibly something extended and at a private college ( where I expect they'll have all the physical tools necessary to practice every required skill )? Thanks in advance tl;dr...my program was lacking, in my opinion, and I am thus lacking the confidence to approach an employer.

Do not worry, find work and settle in. You're not alone in having an issue with the training of prehospital workers, it's an old beaten-to-death issue that all of us have realized at some point.

If you don't feel confident, fake it. Lie to yourself, CONVINCE yourself that this job will be easy. You will need to make yourself approach people having a bad day in their homes as well as future employers. You will need the social skills to be able to talk your way in and out of a variety of situations, start working that muscle now.

The fact of the matter is, that our job IS simple, only if it didn't wear your body and soul far more than your brain.

Other than learning how to wrangle the stretcher, stairchair and reeves on the job, start reading. Start reading metric ****tons of material on the internet, start using Google searches limited to this site "(google entry) site:emtlife.com" and learn the nature of the EMS industry and also read what so many others have written while they were in your position.

For starters:
http://www.emsnewbie.com/page/43/ (find a good mentor)
http://emsbasics.com/
http://roguemedic.com/
https://the5conflicts.wordpress.com/
http://ambulancestoriesmexico.blogspot.com/

You're talking about considering EMT-P/MD/etc., you're going to have to learn how to read and process a significant amount of information in a short period, why not practice that skill and supplement your initial class using one of the best tools for doing so? Start reading. Learn to read read.

Last edited:
Let me preface by thanking those who would reply, provide input...

So, I'm about 4 months removed from my emt course ( needing to stay with my current employer until now ). Having recently passed my nremt ( oddly with zero study for those four months, I did fail my first attempt on almost zero sleep and several hours drive to a testing center initially, however I have taken anatomy / physio / and tons of maths, chemistry etc.. to my benefit in this instance ), I'm preparing to apply for county and state certification as well as, naturally, applying to any open EMT positions in my area.

I can't help but take issue with the quality, extent let's say, of my training. My instructor was amazing, in fact inspiring me to consider a reasonable career term in EMS, advancing even to Paramedic ( though, my much longer term goal is to attain an MD / DO, PA ). In reviewing what others have gone through in their programs such as hospital clinical ( non requirement for me ), continuing ride alongs THROUGHOUT the initial EMT program ( I was only required 16 hours, and 8 at a clinic of sorts, opting instead to do 35 hours with an EMS service in my area ) etc... In addition, we didn't have much practice, or extended opportunity to gain familiarity with the tools of the trade. We had one practice dummy, applicable only for AED / CPR, and ran ZERO extrication procedures, or anything beyond mock scenarios ( mostly focusing on assessment skills ).

In summary, I'm not feeling very confident about approaching an employer. I expect they are going to hold me accountable for most of the summary information ( which I have retained the CRITICAL aspects, and will be reviewing texts in the meantime ) and processes, and the only loose experience I can relay is really what took place during my short period with the ambulance company. Do any users here feel as though I might benefit from enrolling in another course, possibly something extended and at a private college ( where I expect they'll have all the physical tools necessary to practice every required skill )? Thanks in advance tl;dr...my program was lacking, in my opinion, and I am thus lacking the confidence to approach an employer.

It doesn't sound like your EMT course was lacking; it actually sounds pretty typical. Some courses may provide a few more hours of ED or EMS time than others, but at the end of the day, that matters not, because that additional amount of time is such a drop in the bucket, that it just doesn't make a difference. I assure you that you'd still feel exactly the way you do now even if you had that extra time. And your potential employers won't care in the least. An EMT cert is an EMT cert.

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "the more you learn, the less you know"? I don't think that applies better anywhere than medicine. No one finishes an EMT program feeling full prepared to go out and do a great job taking care of sick people. It takes experience that you'll only gain once you start doing it regularly.

If you feel the need to review, try to get a copy of local BLS protocols (often you can download them from a state or county EMS office website) and read them over.

Frankly the difference between a brand new EMT who went through an average program and a great program is minimal. What matters more is what you took out of the class and retained.

Most every EMS job has a training period for new employees where they are working with a (hopefully) somewhat experienced provider that's a half decent teacher. No matter how excellent your program was, there is no replacement for actually putting your education to use.

Inevitably someone brings up stuff like the stair chair in these posts, as if it is some ultra complex piece of equipment that requires a course by itself. I don't get it. Its an unfolding chair with handles, good for getting people down stairs. Yeah you wont exactly inspire confidence in a patient the first time you have to ask your partner what this red button or lever does, but use it once or twice and your set.

The worst thing about starting out as a new EMT is dealing with some partner or FTO that thinks they are a genius and your an idiot because they already knew that pushing a little red button lets you extend a handle, and other such stuff. Realistically it doesn't matter how good your EMT course was though. You are new and some EMTs will lord it over you for a time. Just push through it and in time you will realize how little some of these people actually learned 'workin the road'.

Rest assured that gaining valuable experience in the field will benefit your EMT career the most. And it never hurts to brush up on your training here and there.

Take a look at this site: EMT Training and Jobs

Feel free to look around and gather the useful EMT Training info.

Back