Need Some Guidance

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey everyone, hi, long time no post for me......been busy. Update on Firefighter II Mods.....I passed MOD B as well....MOC C is next month.....and just took a farm rescue and extrication class (fun!).

Now to my issue....those of you that know me know I am an EMT-Basic with a non-transport volunteer BLS fire department, so I don't have much street experience, a little is all. I've been an EMT for a year and a half. I'm a monitor tech on the cardiac floor at one of our local hospitals here (again to those of you that helped me with rhythm interpretation, thanks). My supervisor at the hospital, unbeknownst to me, set some things in motion to try and help me into paramedic school. Here in our community the usual route was only those with ALS agencies could go.....she is throwing her rather respected name (she used to be a flight nurse and is the director of the cardiac floor) out there on my behalf to sponser me thru paramedic school (I did not ask her to do this).....and I'm not even sure I meet requirements? Educationally? I will find out more Friday......

Were I to meet requirements.....and actually get in.....should I consider NOT accepting this because I lack street experience? I am chewing on a rather large bone of doubt right now.....and would appreciate guidance. Thanks.

Summit

Critical Crazy
My feeling on that is that if P is a path you would like to follow, some experience is better than none and you shouldn't waste an opportunity that would be very hard for you to obtain again. But then I'm not a P.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Well this is coming from an EMT B and nursing student. I think that if you are interested in becoming a paramedic I would jump on the chance. I would say that if you have had some experience is better than no experience and that if you really want to do it hten you should do just fine. Hope this helps but I am sure that others will have some better advise. ;)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm going through the same dilema you are as we speak. Different circumstances, but same problem. So I emailed my EMT-B instructor (a VERY reputable paramedic, and a great teacher.) I'll paste below the pertinent part of the email. It helped me to decide. Knowing her makes me take her advice to heart, but maybe it'll help you too.

Part of my email to her...

"The last one is just some advice I need...almost everyone I meet through classes/training is telling me I should work as an EMT for a year before I go to medic school. I'm on a grant so I'm a bit time restricted, but am I really hurting myself by starting out as a medic? I'm getting so many conflicting stories, I'm not sure which way to go with this."

The response to the above question:

"As for Medic School....
I say ta'hell with waiting, you'll be fine!!!!!! You're a great student.
You'll get all the exposure you need during ride time and once you get hired you'll enter into a 9mo training process... However, if you're not certain if this is the career for you, you my want to work in the field before you hit the paramedic books! Working as an EMT will help you figure out if you are cut out for all the blood and guts and gore! It also helps you build strong OPERATIONAL skills... not necessarily patient care skills. Now there is no doubt that the Paramedics that are working as an EMT during Medic school turn out to be our quickest Tober Certed Medics and usually our strongest... but all of this depends on your motivation.... I, for instance did not work as an EMT until after I finished Paramedic school and was waiting to become a state certified medic... and it didn't stop me! (However.. I was in training for a while... ;0)... and still in it ;0)....)"

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As I've said before, you need some REAL experience before you start -P school do do well in my experience and area.

Working Transport isn't great experience for -P school. Ok job, and a good thing to have done once, but schlepping gomers does not a paramedic make.

It sounds like you already have Cardiac under control, and you have a year+ of experence with a 911 squad.

Oh, AND a
rather respected...used to be a flight nurse and is the director of the cardiac floor
If she thinks you can make it, you probably can. you have a chance, so take it.

Jon

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like she see in you what you may be missing..... and you now have a door that is tryng to open for you.... so you can advance .. this is a great op for you... I am sure you trust her judgment with a lot of things in the unit.. were you two work.... trust her on this also....you have a sponsor that belives in you....

WTG... go luck in Paramedic School

My supervisor at the hospital, unbeknownst to me, set some things in motion to try and help me into paramedic school. Here in our community the usual route was only those with ALS agencies could go.....she is throwing her rather respected name (she used to be a flight nurse and is the director of the cardiac floor) out there on my behalf to sponser me thru paramedic school (I did not ask her to do this).....

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I say go for it! I started medic class with right at a year of experience. However, my dept has a low call volume, and I live just outside of the district so I rarely ride in on the transport to the ED.

I won’t argue that experience would be helpful, but the point of school is to learn. I don’t know what the clinical requirements for P are in the Champaign area, but in Peoria we have to do a ton. We are required to complete 100-120 hours of additional ride time (in addition to what was required for basic licensure) at the B level before we can even start our ILS/ALS internship. Those extra 100+ hours are there for those of us with limited experience, so we can be comfortable in the pre-hospital environment before an entirely new batch of skills are thrown at us. Like I said, I don’t know if your system requires this, but maybe you could look into setting up some ride time with Pro or Arrow on your own before you start class. Sounds like your flight nurse friend would be a great resource to help you figure out something like that, if it would make you more comfortable. It sounds like she already has confidence in your skills though.

That’s just my suggestion. Good luck Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I think you should GO FOR IT!!!!! :)
My department sent me to paramedic school a month after I got my EMT-B. I believe if you have the desire to do well and learn as much as you can, then you can make the transition. You might miss out on a great opportunity. You will get plenty of inital P experience with your hospital rotations and ride outs.
Paramedic school will give you the basic knowledge to start, you'll actually start learning once you are out there doing it!!
Best of luck to you!! You'll do great!!!
;)

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Guys? Thanks so much for the letters of support....means so much to me.

To keep you posted, I met with the paramedic field supervisor last night, and know for a fact I have their sponsorship.

My last hurdle to class, is to obtain permission from the instructor if a slot remains open. I have initiated contact with her toward that end. I'm not sure how this will pan out, the instructor is the very person a year ago who told me I couldn't go to P school without "real" experience. I have some, but my department is BLS non-transport....so she knows my experience is limited. And, I don't know if all the slots are filled. (Ahhhhhhhhhh! So many hands in the cookie jar right now!)

I sold myself well, and was respectful. We will see what happens.

I'll keep you all informed, have a great weekend everyone! Your letters have me starting this day with a smile. Thank you.

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Update: when you have been out of college a really really long time, that matters!
And I didn't have the right biology courses to begin with. I will be taking BIO 111 this summer (will enroll April 11), and need to reasses ANCIENT math skills. With the math I will (hopefully) assess into the right level, or will have to take basic algebra over in the Fall.

So I am looking at next Spring for the Paramedic program if all goes well. Hopefully I will be able to reobtain sponsorship at that time, difficult to do being with a BLS non-transport agency.

I remain determined.

Take care everyone, have a safe week.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by MariaCatEMT@Mar 14 2005, 01:05 PM
I remain determined.

As long as you do, you'll be fine. I had to get used to college after being out 5 years and was it a slap in the face <_< Just don't get discouraged and stick with it!