Need help!

1Rodneyk

Forum Ride Along
I am a EMT student and last night did a clinical at a local ER. A doctor had me cutting off dead skin from a burn patient. I did this for about an hour and a half. After about 15 mins. into the process my stomach started to feel queezy. Here's my question: can I make a good EMT/Paramedic since this was my reaction. I've seen some bad stuff before and never had this reaction. What do I make of it? I'm really starting to question my abilities. Thanks in advance.

Rodney

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Your not going to be doing that in the field. Don't worry about that. That is out side our scope of practise.

I have had call where a patient was vomiting and that made me feel like vomiting. Its natural.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Virtually all of us have something that turns our stomachs a little bit. For many people, it's broken teeth, limbs that look curved because of broken bones, breaking ribs during CPR (my personal nemesis), or things moving under the skin (yuck!). You just have to brace yourself and carry on.

You mentioned that you did it for over an hour without losing your lunch, so you're probably ok, especially since you won't be doing this in the field anyway.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
your fine.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I am a EMT student and last night did a clinical at a local ER. A doctor had me cutting off dead skin from a burn patient. I did this for about an hour and a half. After about 15 mins. into the process my stomach started to feel queezy. Here's my question: can I make a good EMT/Paramedic since this was my reaction. I've seen some bad stuff before and never had this reaction. What do I make of it? I'm really starting to question my abilities. Thanks in advance.

Rodney

MAny of us started out "queezy". After doing it for a while it will be less and less. You may find certain things will still bug you........... in 16 plus years in the field I never puked on a call. I have been close several times though. Mostly with smells.......... not visual.

I see you are from Bradenton........ is there still a Crowder Hardware there?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum from just down the street in Sarasota.

I wouldn't worry about this event. It's just one of a thousand you're going to see in your career. Me... I can't stand hospital ERs for too long. I like the thrill of the moment, pressure is on, stabilize, pack and go. Anything that lasts too long and I'm going to start getting lightheaded.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As others stated it grows upon you as well and you learn to psychologically divert it. Remember, it is your job and you usually are too busy to notice. After a while it will become interesting to you.

However; a word of caution on your scenario. As an EMT you were not taught debridement (removing dead skin) and although the physician informed you to this, you should had informed him of such. Debriding a wound requires special training. Even nurses, medics are not allow to do such, unless they have been speciality trained such as in a burn center.

Remember, unless you have been taught to perform such it is much better to inform them such.

Hang in there and good luck in your career..

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
The others have said it pretty well, after you are only human! :)

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
As others stated it grows upon you as well and you learn to psychologically divert it. Remember, it is your job and you usually are too busy to notice. After a while it will become interesting to you.

However; a word of caution on your scenario. As an EMT you were not taught debridement (removing dead skin) and although the physician informed you to this, you should had informed him of such. Debriding a wound requires special training. Even nurses, medics are not allow to do such, unless they have been speciality trained such as in a burn center.

Remember, unless you have been taught to perform such it is much better to inform them such.

Hang in there and good luck in your career..

R/r 911

I agree with Rid...I manage our physician credentialing office at my hospital & for the physician to ask you to do this procedure was WAY inappropriate & outside of your scope of practice. You may run into this again (someone asking you to do something outside of your scope), so be aware. People in hospitals are only permitted to do what they have been credentialed to do.

As for feeling queasy, don't worry about it. I feel queasy sometimes too when someone is vomiting or there is an unpleasant smell & such. Somehow, though, in the heat of the moment, you just do what you have to do & don't have much time to really put much thought into what's gross (although I get queasy sometimes going into homes that aren't clean).

That's the good thing about EMS...you're with the patient for a short time & hurrying to get them to the hospital rather than spending a long time with them (which is why I couldn't be a nurse!).

OP
OP

1Rodneyk

Forum Ride Along
MAny of us started out "queezy". After doing it for a while it will be less and less. You may find certain things will still bug you........... in 16 plus years in the field I never puked on a call. I have been close several times though. Mostly with smells.......... not visual.

I see you are from Bradenton........ is there still a Crowder Hardware there?

Yes, there is a Crowder Brothers Hardware here on Manatee Av.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
i would have told the doc to stick it. thats out of my scope of practice. you sure he took you as an emt student and not a med student ?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It is the students responsibility as well to point out their limitations. Other medical professionals are not aware what procedures each level entitles. Unfortunately, we have way too many levels ... heck, it is even confusing for us working in EMS...

A student should know what they can and cannot do... if you have not been taught or not in the curriculum, then chances are you are not to do it.. call your instructor if there is a question.

R/r 911

hangit

Forum Crew Member
i can look at anything, it's the smells that get to me. i have hurled before. we went to pick up a patient, 400lb+, and the nurses rolled him on his side and this smell filled the room. i walked to the door, pulled off one of my gloves and threw up in it. :unsure::p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Burns are bad.... Burnt flesh has an odor that sticks with you for a LONG time.

As for "outside of your scope" Debriedment is a bit much, but as a -P student, did anyone ever push a med that isn't on the state list? On more than one night, I got given a vial of Teatnus vaccine and told to hit the 3 or 4 trauma patients in the room... Why? because it was an IM injection, and was good practice. There are different degrees to "outside your scope"... but you probably shouldn't have been doing that.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am about to my ER rotation on Tuesday. I was notified that If I do anything outside my scope, I will never get an EMT card anywhere. No debridging, no giving tetnus shots, no IVs and especially no open heart surgery.