Need advice

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
PT was on a 4 ft ladder. Fell reaching for a tool. landed on his butt. CC of lower back pain / tail bone pain. Hips intact. no pain upon palp. no deform. tender distal to lumbar. didnt LBB.

possible lawsuit due to wife being EDP. Thoughts .

JPINFV

Gadfly
No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship
Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

Now, in a hypothetical situation of a man falling on hit rump from a ladder, was there any neuro deficits to go along with no tenderness or deformity? Also, does your system endorse any specific selective spinal immobilization protocol?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
in my system if there is no pain they would not get a board but where there is "back pain" they would.

OP
OP
E

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
well

No. Everything was fine. Minimal back pain. no neuro issues. aaox4. CSS passed. no other S/Sx other then the tail bone pain. It actually would have been MORE uncomfortable and more pain to put him on the back board.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I can't think of many situations where laying on a backboard isn't more uncomfortable than laying on a mattress. The problem with cases like this is that it's hard to get a good index of suspicion without being there, and even harder to justify acting on it without being around when and if a course of action needs to be justified. However, my index of suspicion is fairly low right now.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
What is an EDP? Also, what is the basis for the lawsuit? Did the pt end up having some sort of permanent deficit?

JPINFV

Gadfly
EDP: Emotionally disturbed person.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
They have to find a lawyer willing to take a case with minimal evidence of harm....

Something many disgruntled people seem to forget in the heat of the moment.