NCTI vs junior colleges

BayEMTmaybeP

Forum Crew Member
what is everyone's latest opinion on NCTI (Livermore in particular)? I am hoping to enroll at Santa Rosa Junior College next year, but know it can be impacted easily and wanted a back up plan. Seems the search function showed mixed and dated reviews on NCTI

Cost is not a problem for me, however NCTI seems significantly shorter then the JC program

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
At least local to my area NCTI is a longer program (because they only have class 2 days a week) that costs around $12,000 compared to a college that costs $4,500 and meets 3-4 days a week.

Our local NCTI program has changed a lot and has greatly improved but I would still choose a college to go to. You can apply for financial aid, scholarships, have full access to the college and their databases, and some colleges offer an AS in paramedicine.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
JC is the way to go. Significantly less than NCTI, a more streamlined program (at least in my case), and I have the opportunity for a AS when I'm done.

marian

Forum Crew Member
JCs are great but due to space limitations it can be hard to get a spot.

NCTI? I've heard mixed reviews. If you get your medic, good. I have heard that there have been problems in getting clinical and ride along hours scheduled, but I think that that is a known problem and being currently addressed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It’s a known issue in SoCal at least. It’s at the point for NCTI that they are considering having to pay people to precept students.

They are also letting students do their internship at the company they currently work.