Narcotic carrying case

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a good, pocket-sized carrying case for narcotic ampules/vials. At the moment, I'm working for a company that requires medics to carry their issued narcs on their person while on duty, as opposed to a unit mounted safe. Now, at the moment I'm using an old Glucagon case. And while it has performed admirably, it is lacking when all is said and done. Basically, I'm on the lookout for a case that can accommodate two (II) 1mg/1mL short vials of Morphine and two 10mg/2mL Carpuject vials of Diazepam. Preferably a hard case, pocket sized, able to securely store contents without much rattling about, and with some sort of locking mechanism for the lid. Tall order I know, but I figure somebody out there must have some insight.

Also, I have received a few hard cases as gifts recently, and while they are ideal for what they are designed for they are not what I would call "EMS friendly". Not to name any names but,"caveat emptor" when looking at either the Pelican 1030 Microcase, the OtterBox 2000, or the Armadillo Hard Storage Case by NAR. They are all either too bulky with inadequate storage space or tons of space but the size of an old Sega GameGear. Now dont get me wrong, I loved me some Sonic the Hedgehog or MortalKombat on the go back in the day, but it wasn't very convenient to go lug one in your pocket.Anyway, any recommendations would be nice. Thanks in advance.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I recommend a hard case. You din't want any vials breaking. To much paperwork

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a good, pocket-sized carrying case for narcotic ampules/vials. At the moment, I'm working for a company that requires medics to carry their issued narcs on their person while on duty, as opposed to a unit mounted safe. Now, at the moment I'm using an old Glucagon case. And while it has performed admirably, it is lacking when all is said and done. Basically, I'm on the lookout for a case that can accommodate two (II) 1mg/1mL short vials of Morphine and two 10mg/2mL Carpuject vials of Diazepam. Preferably a hard case, pocket sized, able to securely store contents without much rattling about, and with some sort of locking mechanism for the lid. Tall order I know, but I figure somebody out there must have some insight.

Also, I have received a few hard cases as gifts recently, and while they are ideal for what they are designed for they are not what I would call "EMS friendly". Not to name any names but,"caveat emptor" when looking at either the Pelican 1030 Microcase, the OtterBox 2000, or the Armadillo Hard Storage Case by NAR. They are all either too bulky with inadequate storage space or tons of space but the size of an old Sega GameGear. Now dont get me wrong, I loved me some Sonic the Hedgehog or MortalKombat on the go back in the day, but it wasn't very convenient to go lug one in your pocket.Anyway, any recommendations would be nice. Thanks in advance.

The company needs to be supplying a safe container for all narcs. It's insane that any employee be held responsible for the security of such a thing on his/her person. If one breaks? Then what? What if 3 break and it happens twice? At what point is the DEA gonna come knockin? Until something else is figured out, wonder if a pharmacy would have anything helpful?

Epi-do

I see dead people
I completely agree that supplying something should be the responsibility of your employer. In the meantime, why not try to get ahold of the plastic box for an epi-pen or something similar?

OP
OP
MedicineMan975

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, obviously I didn't make this one point clear. The Glucagon case I'm using right now? That is what my employer provided. And while I was filled with the same righteous indignation and furious anger at their paltry attempt to provide a protective vessel for the aforementioned narcotics as you and other posters are, alas it was for naught. It fell upon deaf ears. So, I decided to seek a solution outside the usual channels, and purchase a case as opposed to griping about it to those who would care less either way.

As for the EpiPen container? A novel solution, if I were able to procure one. Unfortunately, that's a big "no go". My attempts to secure one have proved fruitless so far. But, thank you for the effort. My search continues...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MedicineMan975

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
The company needs to be supplying a safe container for all narcs. It's insane that any employee be held responsible for the security of such a thing on his/her person. If one breaks? Then what? What if 3 break and it happens twice? At what point is the DEA gonna come knockin? Until something else is figured out, wonder if a pharmacy would have anything helpful?
Insanity is only viewed as such when it isn't the norm, my good man. And I'm curious to know what job field you have had the pleasure of being involved with that wasn't filled with a plethora of "Catch 22's" and bureaucratic mish-mash to drive those of us more logically inclined thinkers to want to shove pencils in our ears and eyes just to make the pain stop.

But to answer your hypothetical queries regarding accidental losses or DEA involvement, my answer is this. Mandatory drug testing once you have reported missing/damaged narcotics, followed by admin. leave until urine or saliva drug screen results have come back negative or positive. As for the DEA? Oh, don't worry. They have there jack boots on at the ready to come down upon any impertinent heathen's neck that dare taketh a taste from the scheduled manna in question. Just as soon as the company has their affairs in order and are ready to throw said employee to the lions.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Insanity is only viewed as such when it isn't the norm, my good man. And I'm curious to know what job field you have had the pleasure of being involved with that wasn't filled with a plethora of "Catch 22's" and bureaucratic mish-mash to drive those of us more logically inclined thinkers to want to shove pencils in our ears and eyes just to make the pain stop.

But to answer your hypothetical queries regarding accidental losses or DEA involvement, my answer is this. Mandatory drug testing once you have reported missing/damaged narcotics, followed by admin. leave until urine or saliva drug screen results have come back negative or positive. As for the DEA? Oh, don't worry. They have there jack boots on at the ready to come down upon any impertinent heathen's neck that dare taketh a taste from the scheduled manna in question. Just as soon as the company has their affairs in order and are ready to throw said employee to the lions.

This man is a woman and before you carry around unsecured narcs, ask if it's even legal to do so. Last I knew all narcs had to be locked up when not on a call where meds may be needed. Perhaps it is different where you are from, eh?

reaper

Working Bum
Narcs must be locked up, if not on your person. It is legal to carry narcs on your person, as you are reasponsible for them.

While it does not lock, look to a metal cigar case. They are very sturdy, slim for pocket fit and the lids are pretty snug fit. Most are lined inside, for more protection.

OP
OP
MedicineMan975

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
This man is a woman and before you carry around unsecured narcs, ask if it's even legal to do so. Last I knew all narcs had to be locked up when not on a call where meds may be needed. Perhaps it is different where you are from, eh?
My sincerest apologies for my assumption involving your gender, ma'am. I in no way meant for it to be an insult to either you or your significant other.

As for the "unsecured narcs" statement, I'll try and relay to you the way it has been put towards my queries along the same vein in the past. According to every supervisor, pharmacist, and over seer for the Dept of EMS in the great state of Mississippi I have spoken to on the subject their answers has been generally, if not uniformly, thus:

All narcotics are to be considered secured if carried upon a person while on duty if they meet the following criteria

1) The original seal of said narcotic shall considered the first indication of content integrity.
2) Said narcotic agents are to be carried in an "appropriate and secure manner" (which bacically means some sort of container that will ensure safe portage of the material involved).
3) Lastly, said agents are to be carried on one's person at all times during the performance of his or her duties while acting under duly acknowledged medical control for the service area. Once off-duty, they shall be stored in a secure stationary container with a locking mechanism or relinquished to the on-coming medic (whichever the case may be for their particular working area).

Now this is the case I have heard many times over from all parties that may be "in the know" on such matters. Supposedly having the seals intact, the vials secured for portage in a case and on my person at all times somehow equals up to "three steps of security" when it comes to narcotics being carried in the field. I hope I helped clear things up a bit. More likely than not, I've just muddied the waters even more. But...all of one, half of another as I always say.

OP
OP
MedicineMan975

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
Narcs must be locked up, if not on your person. It is legal to carry narcs on your person, as you are reasponsible for them.

While it does not lock, look to a metal cigar case. They are very sturdy, slim for pocket fit and the lids are pretty snug fit. Most are lined inside, for more protection.
FAR OUT! Finally, an avenue to run my dog down !lol Im going to start my investigation
toot suite.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
My sincerest apologies for my assumption involving your gender, ma'am. I in no way meant for it to be an insult to either you or your significant other.

As for the "unsecured narcs" statement, I'll try and relay to you the way it has been put towards my queries along the same vein in the past. According to every supervisor, pharmacist, and over seer for the Dept of EMS in the great state of Mississippi I have spoken to on the subject their answers has been generally, if not uniformly, thus:

All narcotics are to be considered secured if carried upon a person while on duty if they meet the following criteria

1) The original seal of said narcotic shall considered the first indication of content integrity.
2) Said narcotic agents are to be carried in an "appropriate and secure manner" (which bacically means some sort of container that will ensure safe portage of the material involved).
3) Lastly, said agents are to be carried on one's person at all times during the performance of his or her duties while acting under duly acknowledged medical control for the service area. Once off-duty, they shall be stored in a secure stationary container with a locking mechanism or relinquished to the on-coming medic (whichever the case may be for their particular working area).

Now this is the case I have heard many times over from all parties that may be "in the know" on such matters. Supposedly having the seals intact, the vials secured for portage in a case and on my person at all times somehow equals up to "three steps of security" when it comes to narcotics being carried in the field. I hope I helped clear things up a bit. More likely than not, I've just muddied the waters even more. But...all of one, half of another as I always say.

I assume these are policies that are written somewhere so, I will take your word for it. Just never heard of the DEA allowing open carrying of narcs by any agency in the past. A gluc box isn't what I would consider secure. Kinda like having a PEZ container for vicodin.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
medics carry the narcs on them here. I carry them in a normal case. The case is locked. I have the keys.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm guestimating about volume sizes, but what about something like a hard eyeglass case?

Add a little padding to remove the voids and drill a hole for a small lock.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Recently medics around here have had a similar dilemma. It used to be only narcotics had to be carried on their belt. (For that, most used a belt holder for a small flash light that they carried the carpuject style narcs in.)

Now it is everything must be locked up. So medics now have a small plastic container (much like in a fisherman's tackle box) and it is drilled to allow a small lock.

One thing I find very funny about these boxes is SL Lorazepam is actually kept in a mini altoids container with a small hole drilled in it and security seal. Not even joking.

OP
OP
MedicineMan975

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
LoL Yeah, at a few of my other jobs we could fit our narcs in an old Altoid tin. That was before everybody switched to the Carpuject style vials. It worked like a charm, believe it or not. Heck, at my last place of employment we were issued our narcs in a M&M Minis tube. I kid you not. Talk about ridiculous. Heck, some of the more macho of my coworkers dreaded drawing out the ones in the pink holder LoL. Tickled the piss out of me to see 'em get all worked up. Good times.

But, I think I might just have found a solution to my problem. A few posts back, fella by the handle "reaper" suggested a cigar case. I figured what the hey, might as well. So I did a little searching on my fancy computing machine here and found what just might be the ticket. Cabela's offers a hard plastic carrying case with foam inserts designed originally for stogies(Cabela's Cigar Caddy Humidor). Only costs $20 or so bucks. And by the looks of it, might just work out. So I'm going to see how that does me. But, in the meantime I'm still open to suggestions from everybody. For the most part folks on here have been helpful. Others? Not so much. But, guess you got to take the good with the bad most days.

OP
OP
MedicineMan975

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
"I assume these are policies that are written somewhere so, I will take your word for it. Just never heard of the DEA allowing open carrying of narcs by any agency in the past. A gluc box isn't what I would consider secure. Kinda like having a PEZ container for vicodin."

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, ma'am. I can appreciate it, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. I'm just a low man on this ol' totem pole, trying to get by with the burdens placed upon me by my betters. But, maybe if folks beside myself screw up bad enough with all these "free range" narcotics tripping the light fantastic down these Mississippi roads, I can look forward to just signing out a set of keys for a lock box on the unit. But, until then...guess I'm gonna have to make do.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
"I assume these are policies that are written somewhere so, I will take your word for it. Just never heard of the DEA allowing open carrying of narcs by any agency in the past. A gluc box isn't what I would consider secure. Kinda like having a PEZ container for vicodin."

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, ma'am. I can appreciate it, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. I'm just a low man on this ol' totem pole, trying to get by with the burdens placed upon me by my betters. But, maybe if folks beside myself screw up bad enough with all these "free range" narcotics tripping the light fantastic down these Mississippi roads, I can look forward to just signing out a set of keys for a lock box on the unit. But, until then...guess I'm gonna have to make do.

Wasn't arguing. Feel for your concern in fact.

Semperanger

Forum Ride Along
Carpuject carry case

I hate to resurect an old thread, but I've recently been trying to solve the same problem and was wondering if the OP found a good solution.

My best so far mirrors the suggestion quoted above. I have an old plastic cigar case that I tried before finding this thread. I've attached a photo. It isn't ideal, since the case doesn't lock (but these are my personal meds, so I'm not so concerned), and the fit isn't perfect. It does offer pretty good crush-protection, however.

Anyone come up with a better solution?

Attachments

• P2180004.jpg
    P2180004.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,003

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Perhaps I am a bit old school, but if your agency wants you to carry narcs around aren't they responsible to provide a container?

If you were an agency administrator, in order to cut down on the waste of broken narc containers, the paper work involved, etc. Wouldn't you have a vested interest in making sure this was not left to chance?

Why do employees put up with this crap?