Name the Rhythm

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Ok so here is the first installment of a game that is called name the rhythm. i thought it would be fun to do this as a game posting on Sunday and posting the answer on fridays. i would like it if we could trade off on sundays on who posts the rhythm. i see that a lot of people get into these on the site and would like to keep it going. so basically give a short description of the pt and vitals if available. i'll lead by example good luck. This is a 12 lead electrocardiogram from a 70 year old man with chest pain and palpitations on exertion. The patient was implanted with a Russian pacemaker 7 years ago for bradycardia.
ecgaf2.gif

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
since there's no "boxes" on there, can we get PRI, QRS duration, and such measurements? (yes i am a newbie, i still need to see some of that stuff)

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
I'm not a paramedic, but based on the tent shaped T wave I'll throw hyperkalemia out there? ^_^

OP
OP
mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Rate (/min)75--QT (ms)398--pr (ms)169--QRS axis (degrees)444---QRS (ms)84

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
well i'll be the first one to sound like an idiot... was thinking some sort of junctional first off due to inverted p waves... but the pri is kinda long... so i wouldn't think there'd be such a thing as 1'st degree block accelerated junctional... yeah the t's are peaked so probably some electrolyte imbalances there, is it a demand pacer? i'm seein some depression in I, aVL, V3 and V4. Pt. was asymptomatic at rest i take it? SOB? N/V? general weakness?

OP
OP
mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
well i'll be the first one to sound like an idiot... was thinking some sort of junctional first off due to inverted p waves... but the pri is kinda long... so i wouldn't think there'd be such a thing as 1'st degree block accelerated junctional... yeah the t's are peaked so probably some electrolyte imbalances there, is it a demand pacer? i'm seein some depression in I, aVL, V3 and V4. Pt. was asymptomatic at rest i take it? SOB? N/V? general weakness?
demand pacer walked in to the ER on his own. rapid and shallow breathing. weakness in the legs.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
... i'm still waiting for someone to point me in the right direction, i'm out of ideas

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
nah you're probably right, he's got some electrolyte issues goin on there (hyperkalemia included)

OP
OP
mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
like said the answer will be posted on friday around 5:00 Pm Central. the point is to inform why you chose that if possible so that others can learn from you! and it is kind of fun for some of us.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
it is kinda fun, i can always use practice, this was a good idea :)

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Like I said guys, I am not a paramedic and I haven't even started paramedic school yet. I just pick the stuff up as I go along and try to read everything I can get my hands on.

Sorry if it feels like I'm stepping somewhere I shouldn't be.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
nah, props to you man for trying to get a head start on it... just don't go too far till you get the basics down 100% rate, regularity, p-waves, PRI, QRS

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
... so is it friday yet?? :p

OP
OP
mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
The answer is supraventricular tachycardia with 2:1 block

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
i suppose the block accounts for the rate being only 75?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
or more commonly known as atrial tach with fixed block..

R/r 911