N20

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i spoke with my supervisor about getting N20 on our boxes for pain management. she said i had to write a protocol, i have no idea where to start. any ideas?? anyone know of a site or somewhere i can copy/paste to save time.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
A protocol should be easy to write, indication is pain, plain and simple. Be sure to cover the contraindications.........

1. Alcohol or drug intoxication
2. Respiratory distress
3. Pneumo / Hemothorax
4. Head injury woth AMS

Administration is 50%/50%, use in a well ventilated area......................

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
one questions would be is it really necessary? are you that far from the med facility? is this a private servie or municipal(i.e. whos footing the bill). do you have anybody trained high enough to instruct others in its use?

ok, so thats more than one question but still....

OP
OP
D

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
I printed out the ones on the internet, thanks for the link mike. We really aren’t that far from the facilities, but it saves me from having to go so far as to need morphine. It’s a private service, so the patients insurance foots the bill if I use it. The owner wouldn’t have any problem putting it on the box, or the helicopter we are getting in a few months. Personally I would prefer the nitrous over the morphine so as not to “dope” my pt out before the doc gets to see them. I would guess our medical director would show us how to use it, is there a certain level of certification one is required to hold to instruct on its use, NREMT-P/N20? I just think it makes a lot more sense for short term pain management. I hear there making a disposable unit now, one use and throw away. How difficult is it to use, turn it on, give the mask to the pt, as long as they are able to hold it up they can have it. And in the time it takes us to wheel into the ED and find a room and transfer to the hospital bed, the effects have worn off, and it’s the RN’s problem after that