My introduction with a request of help

Hawkseye

Forum Ride Along
Hey, whats up?

So yeah, I'm apparently "The new guy" for the time being, so allow me to introduce myself.

First of all, I've been lurking these forums for a good ~3 months now, which I have found to be rather resourceful in my search for information regarding the EMT profession. I'm currently 16 1/2 years old, and with such I am at an age to start putting my life together and to plan for a career of interest.. Specifically, I've been doing this ever since I was 13, popping back and forth between various theory's which I wanted to become (As most teenagers seem to do). For the past 7 months now, I've been looking into the scope of what it takes to become an EMT specifically, which has led me to purchase a handful of study guides as with various attempts to get into any kind of classes I may be able to - nevertheless, my age restricts me from doing just that. Sadly, I'm not even able to go on any "ride-a-longs" until I'm 18.. so during this time that I have between now and then, I intend to do a bit of "prep studying" so things later might be somewhat easier to grasp.

Currently, I have 4 study guides and a single, small booklet regarding the PCR and proper documentation. The 4 study guides in specific, I found at a used bookstore which sadly only had a mixed selection of various volumes. Specifically, I found that 3 of those are of paramedic practice, which include terms and various methods undefined, assuming the reader is experienced, whereas I'm not. I have 1 EMT-B study guide, but after having read through all 4 books, I come to ask myself if I've actually learned anything of significance from them - sadly, the answer is no.

So with that being said, I'm hoping that I might get some help by being redirected/suggested to resourceful websites, videos, books, guides... honestly, just anything you can think of that may be of benefit, starting on a basic-basic level and working upward. Having this chance to learn some of the basics, perhaps maybe I'll have better understanding of the guides I currently have.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, whats up?

So yeah, I'm apparently "The new guy" for the time being, so allow me to introduce myself.

First of all, I've been lurking these forums for a good ~3 months now, which I have found to be rather resourceful in my search for information regarding the EMT profession. I'm currently 16 1/2 years old, and with such I am at an age to start putting my life together and to plan for a career of interest.. Specifically, I've been doing this ever since I was 13, popping back and forth between various theory's which I wanted to become (As most teenagers seem to do). For the past 7 months now, I've been looking into the scope of what it takes to become an EMT specifically, which has led me to purchase a handful of study guides as with various attempts to get into any kind of classes I may be able to - nevertheless, my age restricts me from doing just that. Sadly, I'm not even able to go on any "ride-a-longs" until I'm 18.. so during this time that I have between now and then, I intend to do a bit of "prep studying" so things later might be somewhat easier to grasp.

Currently, I have 4 study guides and a single, small booklet regarding the PCR and proper documentation. The 4 study guides in specific, I found at a used bookstore which sadly only had a mixed selection of various volumes. Specifically, I found that 3 of those are of paramedic practice, which include terms and various methods undefined, assuming the reader is experienced, whereas I'm not. I have 1 EMT-B study guide, but after having read through all 4 books, I come to ask myself if I've actually learned anything of significance from them - sadly, the answer is no.

So with that being said, I'm hoping that I might get some help by being redirected/suggested to resourceful websites, videos, books, guides... honestly, just anything you can think of that may be of benefit, starting on a basic-basic level and working upward. Having this chance to learn some of the basics, perhaps maybe I'll have better understanding of the guides I currently have.

I started EMT school at 16 in High School. Finished the course at 17 and got certified at 18. I was an explorer with the Fire Dept from 16-18 and got hired part time at 18. It is very possible to get on with an explorer post at 14-21 years of age and is great experience, you cant do any interior firefighting but you can learn a hell of a lot. My suggestion is to look into these programs around you and getting a feel for the profession before investing too heavily, as an EMT, depending on which part of the country you are one among many, it takes your medic and usually fire/medic to make a decent living at this. It is a tough profession, but worth it if it is what you truly enjoy like me.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Take a CPR / first aid class put on by the Red Cross or something similar. That's about as basic as you can get at your age.

Then, since you're a sophomore and have some years to go, sign up for biology / anatomy in high school and get those knocked out, as those will be a big step in understanding the WHY aspect of what we do, even if you don't 'know' what it is we do yet.

OP
OP
H

Hawkseye

Forum Ride Along
Alright, yeah. I'll check into the explorer bit with my local FD.. though I live out in the sticks (roughly 15 miles from the nearest), I'm not quite sure how well that'd work out - I'll check into that bit anyways.

@Linuss, I'm graduating at the end of this month, getting my GED (Hopefully) - I've been home schooled ever since day 1, having studied most subjects that are considered "electives", Biology being one of those. I do appreciate your suggestion however - every bit helps.. I might even do some reviewing on it having that said.

As for the CPR classes, I'll check them out most certainly.

Nevertheless, I'm still open to suggestions, resources, books, websites.. anything really. At the moment, I'm wasting easily 6 hours a day that I could be doing something useful, such as studying... instead, I'm playing MW4 <_<

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
If you're getting your GED by the end of the month, you could always start classes in the spring at a community college. You can search around the forums for suggestions on what classes you could consider taking, but whenever someone asks that question most people answer with A&P, Biology, and Chemistry. Have you thought about going for an Associate's degree in something? That's always a possibility, and might help you out later in life.

Like Nervages said, maybe try to find an Explorer program. It doesn't have to be with a FD, though. I know the county I live in has an EMS Explorer program. You'll meet people who could help you get a job one day, and it's pretty fun. I used to be an Explorer with a FD around here, and I loved it.

If you have 6 hours of downtime a day, you could look for a part-time job. I was homeschooled for a few years, and after I found a job it was super easy to get alot of hours since I could pretty much work any hours I wanted and get to school work later. Never hurts to make some money and start a job history.

Afterthought: If you take a lifeguarding course, you get CPR/First-Aid certified in addition to being a certified lifeguard. That could be a fun job, and it's (kind of but not really) related to EMS. Based on my experience, you probably won't do much besides watch people swim, yell "NO RUNNING!", get tan, and give out band-aids...but it's pretty fun. At least you get to check out the hot girls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Afterthought: If you take a lifeguarding course, you get CPR/First-Aid certified in addition to being a certified lifeguard. That could be a fun job, and it's (kind of but not really) related to EMS. Based on my experience, you probably won't do much besides watch people swim, yell "NO RUNNING!", get tan, and give out band-aids...but it's pretty fun. At least you get to check out the hot girls.

I'd second this. I took a lifeguarding course when I turned 16. While you probably won't get to save a life, it'll teach you a bit of the public interaction skills you'd use in fire & rescue, get you some (sort of) relevant experience, and (maybe) teach you to work as part of a team. Besides, it's a cool job.

Look around at other fire districts, counties, or states, if you're close enough to get there. You might be close to a place that allows 16 year olds to be explorers, or even EMTs.

As a side note, a lot of our members don't support the idea of training teenagers. I do. If you want the reasons for both sides, search around the forums and you'll find lots of old threads on the subject. Regardless, if you wind up having to wait a few years to do anything with this, don't sweat it. A lot of us didn't become EMTs until we were much older, and it didn't hurt us. Just use the time to focus on the textbook stuff, and explore some other careers for fun. Even if you become an EMT, you can't count on staying one forever (injuries happen), so you'll want to have other marketable skills.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'd second this. I took a lifeguarding course when I turned 16. While you probably won't get to save a life, it'll teach you a bit of the public interaction skills you'd use in fire & rescue, get you some (sort of) relevant experience, and (maybe) teach you to work as part of a team. Besides, it's a cool job.

Look around at other fire districts, counties, or states, if you're close enough to get there. You might be close to a place that allows 16 year olds to be explorers, or even EMTs.

As a side note, a lot of our members don't support the idea of training teenagers. I do. If you want the reasons for both sides, search around the forums and you'll find lots of old threads on the subject. Regardless, if you wind up having to wait a few years to do anything with this, don't sweat it. A lot of us didn't become EMTs until we were much older, and it didn't hurt us. Just use the time to focus on the textbook stuff, and explore some other careers for fun. Even if you become an EMT, you can't count on staying one forever (injuries happen), so you'll want to have other marketable skills.

Agreed! I'm all about lifeguarding seeing as I did it for a long while, both pool and open water. Seaglass put it perfectly, it teaches you to work in a team and to work with the public and all the different personalities that are out there.

I agree with classes at the local CC, a solid base in science will do you wonders.

Also, chicks dig lifeguards :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In case you're a chick, I can assure you that guys dig lifeguards, too. Even if you have to wear ugly one-pieces. :)

True statement. When I was a supervisor at a pool we had constant problems with the elderly gentleman making passes at the female guards, some of the passes were borderline harassment.

At my most recent beach gig the females were allowed to wear tankinis, so much better than the one-piece suits ;) Plus they didn't call us Lifeguards, we were Beach Patrol :cool: