My dilemma

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
Here's my problem,no company will hire me in Massachusetts (I live on the north shore)without experience. Ive applied to pretty much every company. I got one interview from LifeLine and they passed on me. I got my emt-b in late 2011,ive had my cna since 2008. I work at a hospital as an er tech/cna I've been there for a year.I take blood,ekg's, help nurses run codes. So why wont any companies hire me? Does ER experience count as experience to an ambulance company? One last part of the story, I did get hired by a company ——---- and they told me to be patience since they were opening a new base.Well its been a month with no feedback. I've called and left a meseges. NOTHING! From what I read from a few google searches the company was bought out. What should I do? I want to work out in the field. I feel like I am stuck in this ER:huh:

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Somthing is causing them to pass on you. How do you interview? How are you dressing? What companies have you applied for?

I`m moving up from FL and i had like 3 interviews. I got job offers from all 3 of them. I have no expirence besides 3 mos of IFT as an emt. Althought I am a paramedic so that might have helped. The job i took has me starting as a emt and then after 6mos of there training i`m going to be a medic. There are tons of companies that are hiring... PM me if you need some help or questions.

Or ask in this forum we will help you out. Theres quite a few people in this community that work in mass. They gave me tons of help and I owe them all a few round of drinks!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Cobra, sorry to hear you've been frustrated. Getting hired in MA sometimes requires more than just applying blindly. I strongly consider stopping by headquarters', with a copy of your resume, a completed application, a copy of certifications, driving record, etc. Dress like you're ready to interview (suit, if you can), and non-confrontationally ask to speak to the HR manager.
Remember (or write down the name) of everyone you speak with, and treat them with kindness. If you do have an interview, follow up a few days later with a thank you, and next steps call, email, letter, etc. Speak to field crews about what the culture is like. If a company tells you they're not hiring, ask when they will next be-- when to reapply, or how to remain "in the loop".
Do a search here for bios on many companies. Some stack all of their interviews on a single day (and couple it with a skill check and written exam), Cataldo comes to mind for this... others merely do an orientation, as often as monthly, so hire in spurts.
If you have questions about specific companies or their policies, ask here, we have members that work at many different companies in the area.

Good luck!

OP
OP
CobraIV

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the advice. I did my homework and read what should I do and say during an interview from previous threads . I dress the part look the part, I believe its lack of experience, with that I know individuals who were working at Starbucks got there emt and now work for a company because there mother,father,brother works at that certain company. Its the game of who you know vs who you are. I don't have many connections. The company I got my emt with doesn't like hiring students. I don't know, I keep applying and work in the ER gain experience there.

nocoderob

Forum Crew Member
How do you get along with crews when they come into your ED? How does your ED treat crews in general? EMS is a small world and people talk. If there is no issue then start networking with the crews. Simply BS'ing and finding out the lowdown on hiring could be invaluable.

ironco

Forum Probie
That's true I work in our local emergency dept where 8 ambulances transport to. I imagine I could probably walk into any one of the 8 bases and have a job just because I've built a relationship with them and that is the best this you can do