Multiple Train Derailment near Los Angeles

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
This morning, a Metrolink commuter train heading into Los Angeles struck a Jeep Cheorkee on the tracks in Glendale and derailed. During the derailment, the Metrolink train struck a parked Union Pacific freight train on an adjacent track and jacknifed, in turn striking a second Metrolink train heading out of L.A. on another adjacent track.

At this time, there are 9 confirmed fatalities and over 100 injuries (30 critical) requiring transport. One of the fatalities was an off-duty L.A. Deputy Sheriff who was heading into work, and an unknown number of other LASD personnel were injured in the crash (LASD provides law enforcement services on-board Metrolink trains). LAFD, Glendale FD and other fire personnel are currently still on-scene and Coroner's investigators are conducting their investigation.

There are unconfirmed reports that the driver of the Cherokee was attempting to commit suicide by driving onto the tracks, but chickened out at the last moment and left the vehicle. He is currently at large.

News coverage and photos are available at ABC - Commuter Train Derails in Glendale

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I saw that as I was leaving for the office. Almost made me want to turn south instead of north and help out.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jan 26 2005, 02:37 PM
I saw that as I was leaving for the office. Almost made me want to turn south instead of north and help out.
Was anyone here actually in on this?

Sounds like it was real nasty.

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
The biggest incident I have been on so far was a school bus roll over with 12 kids still in it. That was a stressful call. I cannot imagine triaging over 100 people... :blink:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And did they ever find the guy that caused it?