Moving to Philadelphia... where should I work?

vanasme

Forum Ride Along
So here's the deal... I'm currently working in Chicago for one of the privates making close to zero dollars lol. I know I didn't get into ems for the money, but making minimum wage is pretty pathetic. Anyways, I'm moving to Philadelphia in the fall (I'm completing my Master's at Drexel) and I'm looking to work in Philly. At this point, I know little to nothing about Philadelphia's EMS. Would I have to work for a private company, or does the city actually hire EMT-Bs? I want to work full-time, but I need to have a fairly flexible schedule because of my classes.

ANY info you can give me about working in Philadelphia would be greatly appreciated... which companies to work for, who I should talk to about transferring my license, etc.

Thanks guys!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I really know nothing about Philadelphia EMS or Private ambulance companies, but do you really think your going to be able to get a part time gig with the city as an EMT-Basic while going to college? I can't imagine that happening, especially in today's economic climate.

Looking at their job postings I only see EMT-Paramedic positions posted. I would think you'd have much better luck with a private EMS company. A quick google search brings up:

Good luck, and hopefully one of our local members will be able to provide some additional information.

OP
OP
V

vanasme

Forum Ride Along
In response to the above post: I'm looking to work full-time... not part-time. I've already graduated from college, but I'm starting my Master's this fall and need to pay for a roof over my head. Also, some cities (definitely not Chicago) DO hire EMT-Bs, so I just thought I would inquire.

I've also done a google search and come up with similar results. Can anyone in the Philadelphia area comment on any of the above companies? Are any of them reliable/ worth working for? I know there are some shady companies out there (I've even worked for one) and I'm just trying to steer clear of them this time around.

Oh, and as an afterthought, is it possible to obtain a job as an ER-Tech in the city? I know that in Chicago you practically have to be a member of the mob to get a tech job... is it the same in Philadelphia?

Thanks for any help!

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
From a friend who lives in Philly: All EMS in the city is handled by the FD in a two tiered system (ALS/BLS), augmented by first responder engine and ladder companies. Unless you're planning on joining the FD while completing your Master's degree, you'll be working for a private service. Like I said, this is second-hand information, so caveat emptor. If anyone else can confirm/deny, pile on! Good luck in your studies...

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
I lived and worked in philly for many yrs. As stated earlier all 911 is handled by the PFD so private service is ur best bet for work. If I'm not mistaken Drexel is close to the suburbs of philly and it is possible to find work as an EMT-B with a 911 service.

paramedicmike

Forum Probie
As has been mentioned, EMS in the city itself is run by Philly FD. The department and it's EMS system is broken beyond repair. Too broken to go into much detail here. However, by living in the city you are taking your life in your hands. It is not uncommon for local news outlets to report on someone dying, someone who might otherwise have lived, because they had to wait in excess of 40 minutes for an ambulance. You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

If you were thinking of working for Philly Fire, ambulance staffing is primarily dual medic. The BLS ambulances filling the tiered response description are staffed with FFs who are either being punished for something or are on OT. (Draw your own conclusions on the quality of care provided.) They aren't hiring BLS providers to primarily staff ambulances.

The ambulance companies listed in another response are primarily medical transport companies. You won't be faring any better working for them in Philly than you are working where you are now in Chicago.

Some hospitals may, potentially, hire EMTs as a tech of sorts. Most seem to prefer medics for these jobs. But look at Penn, Hahnemann, Jefferson and Temple (and their respective hospital systems) to see if they have anything that might be up your alley. You can try Einstein, too, but you're taking your life in your hands in North Philly. (Actually, now that I think about it, I did know a guy who was an EMT B who worked as a tech in the ER at Einstein. I don't know if they still hire EMTs but it is certainly worth a look.)

If you're looking for street work look to the surrounding counties. Delaware County and Montgomery County have 911 services galore but finding full time work as a basic will be difficult (but not impossible).

Avoid New Jersey like the plague.

Did I mention you want to avoid New Jersey like the plague?

Drexel is a good school. It's a shame it's in such a dump of a city. Good luck with school!

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad

You say that now, but in a month or so, your kind will become the plague for us!

NJN

The Young One

Come over to the dark side.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
1292769903_l.jpg

B)

OP
OP
V

vanasme

Forum Ride Along
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I wish you had better news for me, but such is life, I guess. Has anyone here actually worked for one of the above companies? If so, what did you think? Did it make you want to go running in the opposite direction or was it an ok job? (and by ok I mean you made next to nothing, but the people were ok and the management wasn't crazy)

I'm used to doing transports and I could do it some more if that's all there is... I just need to figure out where to consider applying.

Devon.McNair

Forum Ride Along
Vanasme any update? Have you moved to Philly and found work? Im going to school in August to get my EMT-B Cert and then hopefully I can get a job working for one of those private ambulance transport companies while working towards being a Medic..