Moving to NY

ThatLife

Forum Ride Along
So I am moving to NY (Currently in CT) before I start my EMT training I want to know if its possible to transfer my EMT License over to NY once I get it.

Driving back and forth to NY 4 days a week for training will be too much for me if I was to complete the training in NY.

d0nk3yk0n9

Forum Crew Member
Shouldn't be too difficult to do once you have another state's license/certification. New York generally accepts other states for reciprocity, so it should just be a matter of filling out the right paperwork.

Here's the state's website with information about reciprocity: http://www.health.ny.gov/nysdoh/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm

Once you have reciprocity, you'll probably need to register with the region where you'll be working. Generally, your agency can help you with this. If you aren't working with an agency, I don't know whether you have to register or not.

OP
OP
T

ThatLife

Forum Ride Along
I have one more question for you. What if the teachings are different. Would I have to take the refresher course?

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member
I have one more question for you. What if the teachings are different. Would I have to take the refresher course?

From my understanding, if your state has less hours than the state you are trying to challenge, then you need to make up the difference. As to what type of course they use I am not, may be as simple as a refresher course.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I no longer live in NY, but I did go through my EMT and Paramedic originals there. I'm not sure about EMT, but if you take the EMT-P in NY, there's a benefit - if my P-card ever lapses, I would only need to do a challenge refresher to ge the cert back. A challenge refresher is where you take a test, and whatever section you score less than 90% on you have to show up for that lecture. You do have to show up for skills practice and skills testing regardless. The entire program typically runs two weeks.

By contrast, here in VA, if your P-card lapses, you have two years to build up enough CEU's to recert. If not, you have to do the entire original all over again.

IDK how EMT-B works, but it's definitely something to look into, IMO.