Movie Medic Trauma Kit

John E

Forum Captain
Thanks...

I appreciate your response.

John E

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You stated you are "trained" as a Dive Medic. Do you have your DMT certification and is it up to date? Is this through DAN or NBDHMT?

If you are going to be employed for offshore sets as a DMT (NBDHMT), you will still be working under a Medical Director. Wouldn't it be wise to contact him/her for a suggested list based on what you will be allowed to do. Just because you can do several invasive things as a DMT, does not mean you will, can or should.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
You stated you are "trained" as a Dive Medic. Do you have your DMT certification and is it up to date? Is this through DAN or NBDHMT?

If you are going to be employed for offshore sets as a DMT (NBDHMT), you will still be working under a Medical Director.

Not always true. I know two Paramedics who worked doing the movie thing on the side. They did not have a medical director. So I would look into this. Sometimes things like this are a bit sketchy when it comes to liability. I also have a friend who does high school football games.... once again no medical director.
I have answered craigslist ads for medics on movie sets and also found out there was no medical director. In cases like this I guess your suppose to get permission from your own medical director... but I would look into that part to cover your self. The people I know who did these things did so at there own at risk and have been in the field a very long time.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Not always true. I know two Paramedics who worked doing the movie thing on the side. They did not have a medical director. So I would look into this. Sometimes things like this are a bit sketchy when it comes to liability. I also have a friend who does high school football games.... once again no medical director.
I have answered craigslist ads for medics on movie sets and also found out there was no medical director. In cases like this I guess your suppose to get permission from your own medical director... but I would look into that part to cover your self. The people I know who did these things did so at there own at risk and have been in the field a very long time.

Do your Paramedic friends carry around a full med bag and ALS equipment in their cars without any connection to an agency or MD?

You can also be called a "set medic" with the scope of a basic ARC first aider.

Doing basic first aid is one situation but working with the scope of Dive Medic with meds and needles, a medical director will be involved if the company is U.S. based. I also doubt if many medical directors will allow their Paramedics to "free lance" under their name and insurance for another company unless a previous contractual agreement is reached between that company and the physician.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I also have a friend who does high school football games.... once again no medical director.

BTW, high school football teams generally do have a team doctor who may even be present at the games. It is rare now to have a team that doesn't have a doctor for advisement and medical clearance rather then relying on a GP. An Athletic Trainer may also be present at these games as well as the ambulance. If your friends are not working out of an ambulance, they will still have to call 911.

John E

Forum Captain
Anyone...

that would attempt ALS/invasive procedures without being under medical control for a film or television show is simply asking to be sued.

Doesn't matter what "a friend" said or what sort of ad anyone replies to.

While they don't enjoy legal status as a medical provider, the union that Set Medics belong to has a Medical Director and we work under their guidance.

The minimum level of training to join the union is EMT-B, there are Paramedics and RN's and even MD's who work on sets, all under the medical control of the union's Medical Director.

While it's true that theoretically anyone with a first aid kit can call themselves a "Set Medic" the reality is that they can only get hired by non-union productions. No union affiliated production company will hire a MFR to work on a set.

John E

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
BTW, high school football teams generally do have a team doctor who may even be present at the games. It is rare now to have a team that doesn't have a doctor for advisement and medical clearance rather then relying on a GP. An Athletic Trainer may also be present at these games as well as the ambulance. If your friends are not working out of an ambulance, they will still have to call 911.
The football guys are the only medical staff and they act as basic first aiders, but do carry a BLS bag and just call 911.

I work event stand by under a medical director. I work a lot with an athletic trainer during contact sports but there is hardly ever a doctor. Its just the trainer and I, sometimes they only get 1 of us for things like roller derby or martial arts. The higher end martial arts normally have an onsite doctor but not always.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Negative. Some schools may be lucky enough to be able to afford the services of an MD or have one volunteer his/her time, but here, and I'm pretty positive nationwide, the vast majority will have an athletic trainer only.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Negative. Some schools may be lucky enough to be able to afford the services of an MD or have one volunteer his/her time, but here, and I'm pretty positive nationwide, the vast majority will have an athletic trainer only.

Look at the surveys that have been done recently in many of the states now that high sports related injuries have been in the news.

The Athletic Trainers are probably working under a Medical Director who happens to be a doctor. Read their scope of practice in most states since they are licensed.

I don't know what state you are in but here is Washington. This also applies to any state that licenses Athletic Trainers which is most of the 50 states.

http://www.wsata.com/files/legislation/2006/practice_of_athletic_training_overview.pdf

Practice of Athletic Training Overview
Athletic Trainers are board certified health care practitioners specializing in the prevention,
care and management of injuries and medical conditions related to physical activity. The
Certified Athletic Trainer works under the direction of a physician, and most often operates
under standing orders or from a referral without direct supervision.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Look at the surveys that have been done recently in many of the states now that high sports related injuries have been in the news.

The Athletic Trainers are probably working under a Medical Director who happens to be a doctor. Read their scope of practice in most states since they are licensed.

I don't know what state you are in but here is Washington. This also applies to any state that licenses Athletic Trainers which is most of the 50 states.

http://www.wsata.com/files/legislation/2006/practice_of_athletic_training_overview.pdf

Practice of Athletic Training Overview
Athletic Trainers are board certified health care practitioners specializing in the prevention,
care and management of injuries and medical conditions related to physical activity. The
Certified Athletic Trainer works under the direction of a physician, and most often operates
under standing orders or from a referral without direct supervision.
Well it's not an outright lie on your part, but close enough that it really doesn't matter I suppose. There is a difference between having a team doctor that actually interacts with, treats, supervises, and is present during games and/or practice's and a team doctor that let's an athletic trainer function under their license and is not present. The former may be available in some school's I have no doubt. The latter is what will be available in the vast majority of schools, and maybe not even that. And often, that doctor will be "supervising" every sport in that particular school or more likely school district. In essence for those of you living in fantasyland, that means that the athletic trainer, not a doctor will be responsible for the athletes care. (which I'm ok with really; most trainers get a huge amount of education before they can function in that role) So, basically, to keep everyone honest and on the same page, school teams MIGHT have a doctor that is technically "their" doctor...but that doesn't mean that the doctor actually does anything for them.

Perhaps you would like to post some of these "surveys" that you speak of?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well it's not an outright lie on your part, but close enough that it really doesn't matter I suppose. There is a difference between having a team doctor that actually interacts with, treats, supervises, and is present during games and/or practice's and a team doctor that let's an athletic trainer function under their license and is not present. The former may be available in some school's I have no doubt. The latter is what will be available in the vast majority of schools, and maybe not even that. And often, that doctor will be "supervising" every sport in that particular school or more likely school district. In essence for those of you living in fantasyland, that means that the athletic trainer, not a doctor will be responsible for the athletes care. (which I'm ok with really; most trainers get a huge amount of education before they can function in that role) So, basically, to keep everyone honest and on the same page, school teams MIGHT have a doctor that is technically "their" doctor...but that doesn't mean that the doctor actually does anything for them.

Perhaps you would like to post some of these "surveys" that you speak of?

What part is an outright lie? Do Paramedics not work under a Medical Director? Do YOU have absolutely no contact with your medical director? Have you even met your medical director? Is the fact that you never see your medical director why you believe this is not true? Thus by your own experiences you believe Athletic Trainers never have any contact with a physician?

You seem not to have a clue about how team doctors are contracted or simply refuse to believe out of all the high schools in this country that is even possible. Maybe if you ever have children and if you choose to participate in their lives enough to even get involved with what happens at their school, this might be of some importance and may become a little clearer to you.

Also, before you start working high school games you should have done a little research about the injuries involved. Maybe if you had bothered to read even some of the EMS mags and check the references you might know some of this stuff. That might save you some embarrassment of look so foolish when you try to start arguments on things you know nothing about.

Did you even read what you quoted from my post?

Originally Posted by VentMedic

Do you understand the word "may" as in "may even be present"? Does that mean the same as "are present"?

I never said anything about a doctor being present for every game. Did you also miss what I said the doctor is generally used for?

I also gave you a direct link and quote about the Athletic Trainer's website in WA. There were also 49 links to the other states on that site for you to read basically the same thing about Athletic Trainers.

Now WHAT PART is a lie?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
As someone who has been both a sports official and on an ambulance for sporting event standbys, I will say that in NJ, at least, many times there is a team doctor physically on the sidelines, especially for sports that have large numbers of players and a substantial chance of traumatic injury. Every varsity football game I've ever seen, there was at least one team doctor present, as well as both teams trainers and their interns and student assistants. Plus an ambulance or two.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
What part is an outright lie? Do Paramedics not work under a Medical Director? Do YOU have absolutely no contact with your medical director? Have you even met your medical director? Is the fact that you never see your medical director why you believe this is not true? Thus by your own experiences you believe Athletic Trainers never have any contact with a physician?
Ah venty...I said it's NOT an outright lie; what you did was pretty standard for you though. You made a comment that was mostly true but needed to be explained further to be really accurate. What I did was further explain it since that's something you won't ever do. I'll ignore the personal attacks since that's just SOP for you.

You seem not to have a clue about how team doctors are contracted or simply refuse to believe out of all the high schools in this country that is even possible. Maybe if you ever have children and if you choose to participate in their lives enough to even get involved with what happens at their school, this might be of some importance and may become a little clearer to you.
See...once again you only read what you want to have been written, not what is. I know schools will do things different ways and what I say won't apply to all, but I am quite sure that most do not have a doctor that actually oversees the athletes care; that will be left to a trainer. Does this mean the doctor isn't possible writing procotols for a trainer to follow; of course not (though it wouldn't surprise me if some didn't) just that they are not involved in any of the athletes actual care.

Also, before you start working high school games you should have done a little research about the injuries involved. Maybe if you had bothered to read even some of the EMS mags and check the references you might know some of this stuff. That might save you some embarrassment of look so foolish when you try to start arguments on things you know nothing about.
<yawn> I generally don't work football games though I do sometimes (and other sports events). And don't worry; I know plenty about the types of injuries encountered and have never had any argument with a trainer. Gee look...another insult and personal attack...what a shock...

Did you even read what you quoted from my post?
I did; hence why I said it was NOT a complete lie and made the initial comment in red. Once again, what you said needed to be much better explained to be a worthwhile comment.

Do you understand the word "may" as in "may even be present"? Does that mean the same as "are present"?
I also understand what the word "generally" means. Do you?

I never said anything about a doctor being present for every game. Did you also miss what I said the doctor is generally used for?
No, I didn't. And as I said, some schools may be lucky enough to have a doctor that does that, but I highly doubt the majority will. The student athlete may need clearance from a doctor to play after an injury, but the doctor actually clearing them won't be the one (if there is one) associated with the school/district/team, it'll be the kids own doctor.

I also gave you a direct link and quote about the Athletic Trainer's website in WA. There were also 49 links to the other states on that site for you to read basically the same thing about Athletic Trainers.
So...what's your point? It's on overview of what an athletic trainer does. So what? I've got no issue with trainers...I like trainers...I think they usually do a good job. Did you have a point here?

Now WHAT PART is a lie?
Replies in red. Now I'm sure you'll come back with more insults, personal attacks and comments that have nothing to do with what I said. That's ok; enough has been said to clear up any misconception about schools having a doctor for their sports teams and what role, if any, that doctor will have, so I'm done.

Oh...those surveys you mentioned...got a link...or was that more hyperbole?

John E

Forum Captain
This is all fascinating...

but what does it have to do with what sort of gear a Set Medic uses?

Just curious...

P.S. the notion that most high schools have a "team doctor" other than a well meaning volunteer who's most likely the parent of one of the students is kinda laughable...off topic to be sure but laughable none the less.

John E

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Replies in red. Now I'm sure you'll come back with more insults, personal attacks and comments that have nothing to do with what I said. That's ok; enough has been said to clear up any misconception about schools having a doctor for their sports teams and what role, if any, that doctor will have, so I'm done.

I generally don't work football games though I do sometimes (and other sports events). And don't worry; I know plenty about the types of injuries encountered and have never had any argument with a trainer. Gee look...another insult and personal attack...what a shock...

No, you started the personal attacks again as usual with your accusations of me making up something as ridiculous as having a doctor as part of a high school athletic team for oversight. You just can't see how a school could possibly have a doctor for a team sport. You have just stated you don't generally work football games. It just shows how you always try to comment on something you may know little to nothing about.
Oh...those surveys you mentioned...got a link...or was that more hyperbole?

It is really not that difficult to us Google. Why do I have to spoon feed you everything?