motorcycles

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
I was just wondering what everyones opinions about motorcycles is? Is anyone an avid rider?

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Love my old Beemer.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I started riding in 1975 about the time I became a paramedic. I was taught by my partner on the fastest production motorcycle of it's day (Kawasaki KH-750). As a medic I figured out that everybody is gonna die, even me. I got in to the habit of reminding myself every time I straddled that seat that "YES, it could happen to me!") Somehow, that's been serving me for over 30 years.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
donor.jpg

I'm not anti-motorcycle or anything, though.

(about the lovely art... it's part of a crudely-drawn series from a while ago depicting inside jokes between my SAR team)

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What are these "motorcycles" you speak of?

OminousFinding

Forum Probie
Avid rider here...Have a 2003 Ducati 749s.

I understand people's concerns about riding "murdercycles," I really do. However, I'm a strong proponent of rider education programs, a HUGE gear advocate, and promoting safe, legal riding on public roads. Those three things mitigate some (not all) risk inherent in riding.

Sure, riding is dangerous. But so is sitting at home, in a safe bubble, worrying about dying all the time. You'll either go crazy or die as a result of a heart attack! :ph34r:

OP
OP
W

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
sweet everyone on my squad that i have talked to said that they hate "donor mobiles" and that i was crazy for getting one. I just bought a 1980 midnight special and i love it! i just wanted some other feedback from other people thanks

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
I used to be an avid rider of sportbikes as well as sport-touring bikes. Rode without an incident for 20+ years both on the track and off. I always wore leathers (perforated ones for the hotter days) boots and a helmet as I am a firm believer that ruining the cow's hide was better than ruining mine (sorry PITA). Just got out of riding last year though when the NHTSA released a study that showed you were about 20 times more likely to get in an accident on a motorcycle than if you are in a car!!! That was it for me. I figured I was lucky long enough and didn't need to push it any more. Sold the bikes and bought a convertible. Not the same but close enough.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to ride, back in the day, but I decided the next time I hit a dog, I wanted to be the one walking away from the event instead of the dog. Still carry gravel in my elbow from that one!

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Avid rider, and getting more avid as these gas prices keep increasing. Becareful when you listen to stats about motorcycle accidents, because alot of them arent taken correctly. There was an article i was just reading about how the stats especially taken by the highway safety commision can be very skewed. Not to mention the idiots that by sports bikes and go 120 down the freeway (thats just asking for trouble). But i love riding, have a 2007 Suzuki SV650, fing love that bike!

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
Have been riding everything from dirt to street since i was 13. Being on two wheels is just as dangerous as being on four. The first thing i was taught was to always respect your bike, as soon as you dont it will remind you.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
i ride every day rain snow hail, Suzuki hayabusa beautiful bike full of hp

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I am an avid rider. Also when you look at those stats realize that alot of motorcycle crashes are caused due to these people riding in their 4 wheel cages. people don't pay attention to us when we are on the road. hell they hit 18 wheelers when they aren't paying attention. I have been riding on and off road since I was around 5 yrs old. I love riding and will ride until I die......... which could possibly be the cause of my death...

I would like to add to the question.. Those of you who are avid riders, How many of you have been down and how bad??

Shanz

Forum Probie
I havent rode in a while but its a LONG tradition to be a proud ownder and rider of any kind of Harley. My dad right now are looking into getting a couple 105 anniversary addition soft tails. Love those bikes.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I would love to have one. I still drool whenever I see one I like, but in the same breath I might add... I am extremely scared of them.

Ohio_EMT

Forum Ride Along
Not a fan. :sad:

I had one leave an imprint in the front of my car doing 62 MPH in a 25 MPH zone.

They just make me nervous. I see so many weaving in and out of freeway traffic.

Of course, there are responsible riders out there too... they just make me so nervous.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Two things come to mind in reviewing this thread. #1 there was a study done that the majority of fatal motorcycle accidents were not from an age range, level of experience or specific kind of crash like car's left turn in front of you, but from the rider being inexperienced with the particular bike being ridden. #2 After about ten years of riding I had to admit to myself that were I to die from a wreck, the years of sheer joy I had in riding could not be lessened or tarnished by it.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
here here, Not to mention the money I save on gas