Motorcycle Paramedics

nswAU

Forum Probie
Hey,

Just wondering how many other systems have implemented a rapid response "motor"bike paramedic. Here in NSW, the government run ambulance service covering the entire state, Ambulance Service of NSW has a few in the city area.

Thought maybe a few of you may be interested in the video of the service on their youtube channel.

youtube.com/user/nswambulance?blend=16&ob=5#p/u/0/sgcjqGhGHIw

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
This is a cool idea. With the US government laws concerning emergency vehicles being pretty strict, I wouldn't expect anything like this in cities. It's not a bad idea to provide ALS much quicker than BLS even though you can't transport.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Austin / Travis County EMS has a motorcycle team they use for special events and such. They ride BMW F650 GS models...pretty slick.

In Saudi Arabia we had motorcycle EMS during Hajj. The motorcycles were better at getting through the crowds rapidly than a large ambulance or even a small golf cart...

OP
OP
N

nswAU

Forum Probie
provide ALS much quicker than BLS even though you can't transport.

It is, though in my state as in the rest of Aus, its almost exclusively ALS, be it, varying levels of ALS. :p

Also i didnt see laws would be that strict in the US, with such a great variation in emergency vehicles in each county and WTEngel, just had a look, they do look pretty nice ^_^ though i think the ones here look better ;)

jamesm

Forum Probie
As I said they are quite popular in London, they provide a unique service

193x150-london-ambulance-take-pan-europeans.jpg

dsc09048.jpg

Also on the topic of Australia's ALS and BLS - in Australia you would mostly get BLS is at events where organisers have hired Cert IV Health Care or Advance First Aiders or in some rural areas where Volunteer First Responders are called out, however first responders can't transport patients unless it's to a place a helicopter can land

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
This is a cool idea. With the US government laws concerning emergency vehicles being pretty strict, I wouldn't expect anything like this in cities. It's not a bad idea to provide ALS much quicker than BLS even though you can't transport.
Don't Miami-Dade have them?

http://www.emsworld.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/Miami-Dade-Fire-Rescue-Introduces-Motorcycle-Medic-Team/1$3978

OP
OP
N

nswAU

Forum Probie
Also on the topic of Australia's ALS and BLS - in Australia you would mostly get BLS is at events where organisers have hired Cert IV Health Care or Advance First Aiders or in some rural areas where Volunteer First Responders are called out, however first responders can't transport patients unless it's to a place a helicopter can land

I meant "generally" :p when someone does call 000, they are very likely to recive a ALS response from a statutory ambulance serivice (except in rural areas like you said where they will in the long run :rolleyes:

LAS also employ rapid response push bikes aswell right? Kind of like St John does here on major events.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Last edited by a moderator:

jamesm

Forum Probie
I meant "generally" :p when someone does call 000, they are very likely to recive a ALS response from a statutory ambulance serivice (except in rural areas like you said where they will in the long run :rolleyes:

LAS also employ rapid response push bikes aswell right? Kind of like St John does here on major events.

I know St John has push bikes, I heard they might be getting segways. Anyways I love the police motorbikes we have in QLD I got pulled over by one becuase I had a car matching the description of car used in a robbery lol (black BMW) the police officer had a white dirt bike It looks so dodgy, I was like "This so can't be a police bike"

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't Miami-Dade have them?

http://www.emsworld.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/Miami-Dade-Fire-Rescue-Introduces-Motorcycle-Medic-Team/1$3978

No I don't think this program succeeded in the end, specially since Dade has had a ton of budget cuts left and right. I haven't herd a thing about them at least.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Hate to revive an old thread but any one know of any other places that run motorcycle medics?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
ATcEMS in Austin does... And I've seen a few pictures of other services tht do, but I can't remember who

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Why are all (OK most) of the interesting ems systems in Texas...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Austin / Travis County EMS has a motorcycle team they use for special events and such. They ride BMW F650 GS models...pretty slick.

In Saudi Arabia we had motorcycle EMS during Hajj. The motorcycles were better at getting through the crowds rapidly than a large ambulance or even a small golf cart...

Hey there,

First in general: I think motorcycles would be great ideas in certain circumstances (e.g., parades, off-road access, etc.), but I agree with other posters that say it's an unlikely addition to any city crew.

Second: When you were in Saudi Arabia, what company did you go through to arrange the job, etc.? I'm interested in getting overseas work, but I'm trying to pick out the reputable companies from the fly-by-night and the frauds.

Thanks!
M.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A motorcycle unit would be fantastic at the beach in Delaware. Getting through route one traffic is a nightmare. I think any area with lots of stagnant traffic patterns could benefit from a quick response motorcycle unit.

Not something I'd be interested in doing, but I'm sure we've got enough qualified people in our department that would clamor for that assignment.

Of course, with our "two medic rule" we would have to run them as teams, like Ponch and Jon from CHiPS.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
As stated A/TCEMS uses them for special events, and Austin has a ton of events that pretty much shut down the city so that combined with other events in the county they are used quite often.