Motorcycle medics

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
Read about this in TIME magazine and found the online article. What's next?, horse-drawn wagon ambulances for the Amish?:p

From the article. . .
Enter motorbike medics, who flit between slow-moving cars and speed around stopped traffic. The two-wheeled first responders are dispatched from the 15 firehouses closest to São Paulo's main drags. Other cities employ moto-medics--London, Kuala Lumpur and Miami, among them-

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
The concept is actually fairly common in parts of Europe and is gaining ground here in the U.S. as well.

Daytona Beach F.D. has run a motorcycle paramedic program since 1994 primarily for the different special events (Bike Week, Speed Week, etc.) that are held in the city.

Seattle just announced last month that they're starting a program with four motorcycles for their downtown area. The article states there are similar programs in Miami and Pittsburgh.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
EMSA of OKC has Segway medics at fairs, conventions, etc.. that carries a LP12, etc.. and awaits a transport unit..

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Segways? Oklahoma?

I guess I pictured something different for Oklahoma. By chance are they wearing big hats? Or is that Texas?

Just messin' with ya Rid. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I personally think they look "dorky"; but I have heard good things especially in a crowd..

Yeah, I would think that they would invent a cowboy style hard hat by now.. :)

case_emsa.jpg

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
For some of them.. it may not be big enough!..LOL :p

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sorry to change the subject, but a quick rant:

I am a proud Segway owner, and have been since they were first released (mine is approx the 45th off the line). I have always been fascinated with Segway-medics... they can move quickly through crowds, see over people's heads, and carry quite a bit. As well, they are very approachable by pedestrians, and a magnet for public interest in EMS.

Personally, I think they look beautiful when moving; it seems like natural movement-- both for the segger (rider, EMT), and for the viewer.
It really is a shame they havent picked up as much as initially predicted, but I am still confident they will become better accepted.

As for the motorcycle, I believe there are services in the US that use motorcycles to some extent. Hatzolah, a community ambulance created for some religious Jewish communities, use motorcycles as fly-cars-- to get multiple personnel to the scene without a bus.