Most important advice?

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Hi there,

I am in my senior year of HS and my plan is to become an EMT right after high school. I am from MA and I found a place I am planning to take classes at. I wouldnt mind preparing beforehand because it doesnt hurt getting started beforehand. What is probably the best place to start and get a leg up on? Any kind of math (its not an easy subject of mine), or anything else that would get me prepared for classes and the job? Anything is appreciated.

-Nick

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
I also would like a few opinions on this matter as well. Obviously im going to start as an EMT-B and im super excited for it. I have been reading through the threads and what not and I have noticed some say they started as an EMT-B but then went straight to Paramedic. Is it all about personal prefrence? I understand theres two levels of intermediacy. Are they much different from EMT-B or rather similar? Is one just like EMT B and the other level more of ALS area? Anything on the matter would be great.

Another question I have is other then academically, what can I do for preparation to become an EMT? I hear fitness would be a good one which i am in the process of doing. Another thing considering I am almost 18, do you think it would be wise to maybe start as a lower level of a first responder such as lifeguarding or something? I had noticed some have done that in the past from when I was just reading on here. The whole reason or one of the biggest reasons I want this job is to help people and make the world a better and safer place. Doing the smallest positive thing has also helped me feel like a good person. Any advice or anything would be great, again!

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
18 really isn't that young to start, so don't let age hold you back. I've known people who got their EMT-B at 16. Depending on your course, it can be intense, but it's really not incredibly difficult.

The different levels vary widely by state; in some places, you need to progress through them. If MA lets you take medic right away, do it.

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Cool thanks. I think im gonna do EMT-B first and then progress from there. I hear its rather limited with EMT-B to use authorized medicine for prehospital care? Is that true?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Cool thanks. I think im gonna do EMT-B first and then progress from there. I hear its rather limited with EMT-B to use authorized medicine for prehospital care? Is that true?

Check with your state and local protocols. I'd recommend a full year of core classes if not 2 years at a college, especially if you are going on and getting your paramedic. My course recommendations would be as follows.

Gen Chem I&II w/labs
Organic Chem I&II w/ labs
General Bio I (or an intro to cell biology) w/ lab
Anatomy and Physiology I&II w/ labs
Microbiology w/ lab
Pathogenic Microbiology w/ lab
Public Speaking (or introductory communications class)
College Algebra
Intro to Psychology

If you can get into a pathophysiology or intro to pharmacology class that would also be on here, although where I'm at, those classes are associated with a professional program which you need entrance into the college to get (i.e. getting into nursing or pharmacy school).

You can never learn enough, nor should you ever stop learning. The day you do is the day you should retire.

With that said, good luck and keep your eyes and ears open ^_^

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Yep. It's really not that much education, so you don't get to do all that much when you're done. A lot depends on your state and county, though--some basics can do a lot more than others.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
18 really isn't that young to start, so don't let age hold you back. I've known people who got their EMT-B at 16. Depending on your course, it can be intense, but it's really not incredibly difficult.

The fact that it's not terribly difficult (the crap is written at a 4th to 6th grade reading level for crying out loud!) does not say a lot about the quality of people this field attracts given the headaches a lot of people have with the NREMT and, where applicable, state exams. It really is an easy class to pass. Honestly I think if someone fails it after giving their best effort, they probably should be allowed to breed but that's just my opinion (the longer I work in health care the more I begin to think there may actually be some validity to the idea of regulating human reproduction).

That said, My advice- as both one of those who chose to pursue his credential while still in high school and as an instructor- is not to rush into anything. EMS is actually probably not what you expect it to be. 95-99% of the time it's boring, mundane and will make you want to fellate the business end of a shotgun. The other 1-5% will be frightening, disturbing and will frequently make you question the very existence of that alleged characteristic called "basic human decency". This too often makes us want to run screaming. I know quite a few of us who have.

Enjoy your college years, get a degree in something else, live your life and come back to EMS a more mature and wiser person with better developed coping skills because you're considering becoming a human grief mop. You have to have the ability to deal not only with your own problems (totally separate from work) but those of others and the problems you will have because of what you see in this line of work.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
That said, My advice- as both one of those who chose to pursue his credential while still in high school and as an instructor- is not to rush into anything. EMS is actually probably not what you expect it to be. 95-99% of the time it's boring, mundane and will make you want to fellate the business end of a shotgun. The other 1-5% will be frightening, disturbing and will frequently make you question the very existence of that alleged characteristic called "basic human decency". This too often makes us want to run screaming. I know quite a few of us who have.

Very true. Remember that you'll probably be seeing (and wearing) vomit and feces a lot more than blood, and that you're really not going to get to save lives all that often. A great deal of the time, the dead stay dead even after you shock them and your medic shoots them up with some serious drugs. And the dead baby, neglected elder, and child abuse cases just aren't cool for anyone.

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Making me do some thinking but not rethink the fact I want to be an EMT. All the advice in the last few hours have been great. Thanks. This is a great board. Happy I found it.

medic258

Forum Crew Member
Where do you plan on taking the course?
In MA, statewide protocols and in certain circumstances, regions and special project waivers, govern what you can administer as an EMT. There are 3 medications that EMT's can administer in MA. There are only 3 levels in MA as well. Basic, intermediate and paramedic. If you have questions keep asking. This forum is a great place to get things answered. I wish it was around when I got my EMT.

sbp7993

Forum Crew Member
I agree,18 is definitely not too young, I am 16 and I'm an EMT. I started my class at age 15 then graduated a few weeks after I turned 16. It is a good idea to have some A&P under your belt. It makes the class a lot easier. Having a general understanding of the human body will greatly enhance your understanding of the book and the material. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Where do you plan on taking the course?
In MA, statewide protocols and in certain circumstances, regions and special project waivers, govern what you can administer as an EMT. There are 3 medications that EMT's can administer in MA. There are only 3 levels in MA as well. Basic, intermediate and paramedic. If you have questions keep asking. This forum is a great place to get things answered. I wish it was around when I got my EMT.

Im lookin at Center for Medics in Cambridge MA. My plan is to once I get certified, I am going to apply to some ambulance companies. My dream is to work for Boston EMS.

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Also, in MA, do you have to go through EMT B and EMT I to become a Paramedic or can you straight get your EMT-P? Thanks.

medic258

Forum Crew Member
In MA, you can go to medic school as a basic. There are very few intermediates in MA especially east of Worcester. I am not sure about Center for Medics, but I think it is run by Pro EMS. I am sure someone will chime in with an answer to that one. I have very bias opinions on some schools so I will end here.

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah it is run by Pro EMS. Do you have any thoughts or experience? My mom gave me this link for Southern Maine Community College in Portland that has a straight up Paramedic Program. My only problem is that A. I obviously want to goto Boston for it (im from the N.shore) and B. That I dont know if I could get certified to become a medic afterwards for MA cause I took the classes in ME.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
B. That I dont know if I could get certified to become a medic afterwards for MA cause I took the classes in ME.

Yes, most likely you can (unless MA is the one of the only states that does not do reciprocity or has some really messed up requirements). I had a buddy- actually someone I trained- who left Illinois and went to Boston for a job and had zero problem with his credentials transferring.

If I were you, I would go through the community college. Most of the time you come out far more well round (relatively speaking...it is a community college after all) than you will from the EMS equivalent of a puppy mill. The knowledge and the education you come out with is what will get you where you want to be (along with the right connections and varying degrees of boot licking), not the geography of your training program.

A. I obviously want to goto Boston for it (im from the N.shore)

Nothing wrong with wanting to stay close to home, but then again Portland isn't the back side of the moon and getting out and growing up a little bit (no offense intended) would be a great thing before you find yourself responsible for the lives of others. One of the key mistakes young people make- and I made this one myself- is becoming so fixated on a goal that you miss out on the experiences that make life fun. Sure, EMS is fun (at least parts of it and at least for a while), but getting out and seeing the world beyond NE Massachussetts before you are locked in the dull and draining schedule that is life as a line EMS provider has far more to offer. What you see on duty sucks the life out of you and you have to have ways to "fill the tank back up" so to speak and it's a hell of a lot easier to do if you are a well rounded person (which comes from NOT making a hellbent rush for a goal) who has "seen the world" so to speak.

Just my two very burned out cents.....

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
If I were you, I would go through the community college. Most of the time you come out far more well round (relatively speaking...it is a community college after all) than you will from the EMS equivalent of a puppy mill. The knowledge and the education you come out with is what will get you where you want to be (along with the right connections and varying degrees of boot licking), not the geography of your training program.

I'd second the entire post, but this in particular. Community colleges often offer better quality training, which will make a huge difference later on. The more you can learn in class, the better.

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, most likely you can (unless MA is the one of the only states that does not do reciprocity or has some really messed up requirements). I had a buddy- actually someone I trained- who left Illinois and went to Boston for a job and had zero problem with his credentials transferring.

Nothing wrong with wanting to stay close to home, but then again Portland isn't the back side of the moon and getting out and growing up a little bit (no offense intended) would be a great thing before you find yourself responsible for the lives of others. One of the key mistakes young people make- and I made this one myself- is becoming so fixated on a goal that you miss out on the experiences that make life fun. Sure, EMS is fun (at least parts of it and at least for a while), but getting out and seeing the world beyond NE Massachussetts before you are locked in the dull and draining schedule that is life as a line EMS provider has far more to offer. What you see on duty sucks the life out of you and you have to have ways to "fill the tank back up" so to speak and it's a hell of a lot easier to do if you are a well rounded person (which comes from NOT making a hellbent rush for a goal) who has "seen the world" so to speak.

Just my two very burned out cents.....

Hey thanks. Really appreciated. I plan to atleast go and check out the school up there. Though I grew up on the North Shore, I really love Boston. All of my friends live there and what not so its always been a huge dream and plan for me to goto school and live there. Theres only a few more years my best friend really plans to stay and from there on, I dont know whats happening. I'm keeping my options opened though which is good.

The class at the CC in Portland is an EMT Basic program. Eventually there I am really interested in taking a Paramedic program eventually. The EMT-B is a pre-requiset. Thanks for all the help. Really means alot. A good point that was made for me was the fact that if you have a degree from a community college as an EMT-B/Medic and fire science (cause I want to be a FF eventually), a degree will look better then a certificate.

medic258

Forum Crew Member
There are quite a few CC based medic courses in MA. North Shore CC has one as well as MassBay and Quinsig. I would second what everyone else has said about college based programs. I would stay away from out of state schools with a few exceptions. A lot of times Mass makes it difficult to gain reciprocity. If you have not checked this out take a look. It lists all Mass accredited schools. http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2terminal&L=5&L0=Home&L1=Provider&L2=Certification%2c+Licensure%2c+and+Registration&L3=Programs&L4=EMT+Training+Institution+Accreditation&sid=Eeohhs2&b=terminalcontent&f=dph_emergency_services_p_emt_training_institutions&csid=Eeohhs2