Michigan Members: Island City Area EMS

Hockey

Quackers
Anyone know anything about Island City Area EMS in Eaton Rapids?

Pay? Vehicles? Quality of equipment? Etc etc etc

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you kidding me? Are you living in the ONLY Eaton Rapids ON EARTH!!!!! Population <5500, but countless others escaped.....

Where they once had Milk in a bag.... a parade when McDonalds came to town....

A short walk to Quality Dairy got you more ice cream that any kid could ever eat. Cross the street again and the dime store had a bag full of candy for you.

But whatever you do, don't cross against the light because everybody knows what you have done before you did it and someone will tell your dad.

Home of the GREYHOUNDS!!!!

Sledding at Northwestern in the winter.

The Old Athletic Field....

King Street Elementary.... that is apartments now....

With the island in the center of town, that used to have some darn adorable duckies that you could feed your bread to, but have since turned into psychocrazed schizo murderous bread seeking ducks that maul the innocents that even dream of feeding them?

Are you talking about THAT Eaton Rapids.... my home town?

How you get on with them? Try going to their station. Make sure they aren't volunteer. Check with the Fire Department. They may know. But for a better chance of getting hired..... Go to Lansing.

Hastings

Noobie
But for a better chance of getting hired..... Go to Lansing.

Sorry, but that's a horrible idea. I'm from Lansing.

The Greater Lansing Area is covered by two entities. The first is the Fire Service. Lansing Township Fire, and Lansing Fire. Both are Fire-based EMS that HIRE ONLY PARAMEDIC FIREFIGHTERS. The only other service in the actual Lansing area is Mercy, and well, lol @ that.

There are no opportunities for Basics in the Lansing area. Well, no good ones, at least. No decent ones, even. That's why you'll find graduates of Lansing Community College all over the state, but rarely in the Lansing area.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

The Greater Lansing Area is covered by two entities. The first is the Fire Service. Lansing Township Fire, and Lansing Fire. Both are Fire-based EMS that HIRE ONLY PARAMEDIC FIREFIGHTERS. The only other service in the actual Lansing area is Mercy, and well, lol @ that.

There are no opportunities for Basics in the Lansing area. Well, no good ones, at least. No decent ones, even. That's why you'll find graduates of Lansing Community College all over the state, but rarely in the Lansing area.
Does Sparrow's ambulance service hire EMT-Basics?

Hastings

Noobie
Does Sparrow's ambulance service hire EMT-Basics?

Sparrow's? Oh, you mean their uh...95% sitting in a small room answering the phones like dispatchers and 5% jumping on the ambulance for interfacility transports? I just wish I could remember what they're called. But no, not last I checked. I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief

I'm from Eaton Rapids B) The chances of getting hired in ER is much less than in Lansing. I didn't say it was a good idea, just a better chance of getting hired.

And thatsa another reason I am not in Michigan any more.

emt_aj

Forum Ride Along
Anyone know anything about Island City Area EMS in Eaton Rapids?

Pay? Vehicles? Quality of equipment? Etc etc etc

I am a former employee of Island City Area EMS. Their rigs are sub standard as well as their equipment. they pay occasionally and their pay scale is 2.00 an hour unless you are on a call then it goes up slightly. If you are employed there i wouldnt reccomend relying on it for your primary income source. most of the employees are great to work with but others are well unsavory to work with.

Kidquick

Forum Probie
I've heard not-so-good things about Island City, but my information is from third parties. I worked for Lansing-Mason Ambulance for a little over a year - good group of people and you will learn a ton, especially if you plan on going to medic school. I did a ride there when I was in LCC's program and put in an app the next day. They run there own medic program out of Hill Academy, so they know their stuff too. Feel free to PM me if you want more details!

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
I am a former employee of Island City Area EMS. Their rigs are sub standard as well as their equipment. they pay occasionally and their pay scale is 2.00 an hour unless you are on a call then it goes up slightly. If you are employed there i wouldnt reccomend relying on it for your primary income source. most of the employees are great to work with but others are well unsavory to work with.
Careful, the owner is a member of this site ;)

emt_aj

Forum Ride Along
Careful, the owner is a member of this site ;)

If the owner is a member here then oh well, I was purely making a educated comment about the company. I have been denied a job because I put on my app that I worked for ICAEMS. Any statment I make is purely my opinion and I dont force anyone to believe my opinion, I am just putting information out that I feel needs to be expressed. If I offend the owner I would like to say that I would appologize about it, but I have been slighted by him in the past and I do have ill feelings towards him and the company. If anyone takes my opinion and feels that it is to be believed the so be it, that being said if someone disagrees with my opinion well then thats there right as a living breathing human being. I cannot appologize if anyone was offended by my post. I personally would tell any and every EMS Professional to avoid ICAEMS like the plague, but again that is solely my opinion and I feel as if I am entitled to state my opinion. After all we are awarded freedom of speech here in America.

dasbrick

Forum Ride Along
Did ICAEMS take over for Eaton Rapids EMS? Is Eaton Rapids EMS still in service?

No, they did not. ICAEMS runs 2nd call for a portion of the area. Eaton Rapids EMS, part of Charlotte EMS, still runs first in this area. ICAEMS runs mostly private transports and 2nd in.

swindlman

Forum Crew Member
The only other service in the actual Lansing area is Mercy, and well, lol @ that.

Mercy is not the only private around Lansing..... There is also Lansing Mason Ambulance.

But Lansing area includes East Lansing Fire, Williamson Fire, Meridian Fire, Delta Fire, N.E.I.S.A, and it goes on....

Honestly just google company's.

swindlman

Forum Crew Member
Sparrow's? Oh, you mean their uh...95% sitting in a small room answering the phones like dispatchers and 5% jumping on the ambulance for interfacility transports? I just wish I could remember what they're called. But no, not last I checked. I wouldn't want to do that anyway.

And as for sparrow, Sparrows EMS transport is mainly a Critical Care Transport Unit with no 911 service. Dont think they hire basics...

dasbrick

Forum Ride Along
And as for sparrow, Sparrows EMS transport is mainly a Critical Care Transport Unit with no 911 service. Dont think they hire basics...

Dont forget MMR to the north, Clinton Area Ambulance, Charlotte Area EMS, Life EMS... huge list.

emtrn

Forum Ride Along
Set everyone straight

Okay, Regional EMS is still in Lansing, they have one station here, but all they do is BLS and ALS transfers, their main stations are out in Flint.
There is also JCA - Jackson's ambulance company south of Lansing.
As far as Island City Area EMS goes, I don't think anyone will be working for them ever again. They just got shut down by the state of michigan. You can read all about it at this link... http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/gun_lake_region/State-yanks-ambulance-company-license