MI w/o Chest Pain

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Ever get an MI w/o chest pain? seems it happens in females more often than males. Maybe a little dif breath, hx of chf , associated meds....

a strip might reveal all manner of FLB

the vitals might follow suit

so might the skin, eyes, lung sounds etc...

but NO chest pain

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
In class they taught us it was fairly common in women and in diabetics to have "silent" heart attacks. They tried to nail me with that on my midterm. And I've seen several people who don't find out they had a heart attack until 6 months later when they get a check up.

I watch too much discovery channel :unsure:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
yip...silent mi. no classic signs(c/p, sob, sweating, nausea etc). frequently, females, specifically post menapausal(sp) females, have atypical signs. not to mention diabetics.

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
And the most scary ones of all; any patient who has had a previous AMI that had a CABG to fix it will not have pain in the occurence of another AMI due to the procedure done to fix the first one!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jun 11 2005, 06:43 PM
no classic signs(c/p, sob, sweating, nausea etc).
Oh great.. I'm like a hypochondriac when I read things like that. I get the same symptoms when every my BGL drops to 20 or below.. b/c I never check it. Now I'll think MI instead of hypo-G. :p

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well if you think the silent mi is bad, i guess i shouldnt tell you too much about ewings tumor.........

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jun 12 2005, 06:37 PM
well if you think the silent mi is bad, i guess i shouldnt tell you too much about ewings tumor.........
<gets out the fly swatter and whaps K18>

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Wacker, you're not alone. This is a bad profession for us to be in lol. :D We're suckers for punishment.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
i had a Pt. where the call was for "arm pain" the pt was also c/o SOB, Back Px, and Jaw Px. i look at the Hx, and of course, i see the IDDM, CHF, CAD, and CABG. I called the hospital, and they agreed that it was a Possible MI.

Those are the fun calls. Not trauma, give me a good Medical

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Jun 12 2005, 02:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Jun 12 2005, 02:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KEVD18@Jun 11 2005, 06:43 PM
no classic signs(c/p, sob, sweating, nausea etc).
Oh great.. I'm like a hypochondriac when I read things like that. I get the same symptoms when every my BGL drops to 20 or below.. b/c I never check it. Now I'll think MI instead of hypo-G. :p [/b][/quote]
Yeah, ever since I went to my EMT class I have gotten like 5 diseases and counting... wonder what it'll be like after medic school!? I even had a-fib this morning!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
come on, no one got the ewings tumor reference.....

thought thats was a winner for sure

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jun 18 2005, 07:45 PM
come on, no one got the ewings tumor reference.....

thought thats was a winner for sure
Enlighten us....

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't get the Ewing's Sarcoma reference either.....it's been a long day. :blink:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its a reference from the book "catch 22"

in the book, theres a dr. thats a rampant hypochondriac(like some of our fellow members). t one point in the book, yossarian(the main charachetr) is discussing possible malladies that this doc might be infected with, one of them being ewings tumor

if you've never read the book, the whole joke is lost on you.......

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Did you read that book in high school? It's been a long time for me. I was almost finished with HS when you were born! :eek:
So, yes, it was lost on me.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
nope didnt read it in hs, still one of m favorites...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
My wife had one; that is.. she had a patient w/ a massive MI who only had dizziness. Of course there was no time for tests b/c she died rather quickly.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Ya PA easy on the meaningless posts. :lol: