Medical History Question

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
I am applying to be part of a volunteer EMS group (my first paid or volunteer EMT-B position), and one of the questions on the application is (roughly), "do you have now or have you ever had any medical problem that might impair you from performing EMT duties?"

I struggled with depression for several years, but that was years ago. I am still taking medication, but I haven't had any major problems for a long time. I honestly don't know if it would have impaired me at the time, and I know it certainly doesn't now, as it is no longer an issue.

I don't want to be dishonest on the application. If they need to know about this, I will put it down. I'm assuming I'll see this question many times throughout my EMS career - Is this something I should be disclosing on these applications?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I am applying to be part of a volunteer EMS group (my first paid or volunteer EMT-B position), and one of the questions on the application is (roughly), "do you have now or have you ever had any medical problem that might impair you from performing EMT duties?"

I struggled with depression for several years, but that was years ago. I am still taking medication, but I haven't had any major problems for a long time. I honestly don't know if it would have impaired me at the time, and I know it certainly doesn't now, as it is no longer an issue.

I don't want to be dishonest on the application. If they need to know about this, I will put it down. I'm assuming I'll see this question many times throughout my EMS career - Is this something I should be disclosing on these applications?
Thanks!

Your mental medical history is not their business.

If you were schizophrenic that may be another story but depression and bi-polar disorders aren't immediately function impairing.

They don't need to know about that. If YOU feel it is severe enough that it would impair your function, then you need to re-evaluate your applying.

Personally, I suffered a degree of depression in high school and joining a volunteer fire department really changed things for me. (never saw anyone outside of a guidance counselor, a lot..) Whole new bunch of people, whole new outlet.

If I hadn't joined my department, I'd probably never have found anything I enjoyed and still be working at whole foods.

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Your mental medical history is not their business.

If you were schizophrenic that may be another story but depression and bi-polar disorders aren't immediately function impairing.

They don't need to know about that. If YOU feel it is severe enough that it would impair your function, then you need to re-evaluate your applying.

Personally, I suffered a degree of depression in high school and joining a volunteer fire department really changed things for me. (never saw anyone outside of a guidance counselor, a lot..) Whole new bunch of people, whole new outlet.

If I hadn't joined my department, I'd probably never have found anything I enjoyed and still be working at whole foods.

What he said. Pretty similar for me too