Medic working BLS only.

Trauma Chaser

Forum Probie
im starting to like the state where i work......good god if i have to have my family doctor cut my arm off.....oh man. he would probably just be like here is a Z - pack, 1 a day for 5 days and see me in a week.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't believe you understand what is meant by the practice of medicine.

IC 25-22.5-1-1.1 Definitions
Sec. 1.1. As used in this article:
(a) "Practice of medicine or osteopathic medicine" means any one
(1) or a combination of the following:
(1) Holding oneself out to the public as being engaged in:
(A) the diagnosis, treatment, correction, or prevention of any
disease, ailment, defect, injury, infirmity, deformity, pain, or other
condition of human beings;

(B) the suggestion, recommendation, or prescription or
administration of any form of treatment, without limitation;
(C) the performing of any kind of surgical operation upon a
human being
, including tattooing, except for tattooing (as
defined in IC 35-42-2-7), in which human tissue is cut, burned,
or vaporized by the use of any mechanical means, laser, or
ionizing radiation, or the penetration of the skin or body orifice
by any means, for the intended palliation, relief, or cure; or
(D) the prevention of any physical, mental, or functional ailment
or defect of any person.
Emphasis added
http://www.in.gov/pla/files/MLBI.2009_EDITION.pdf

A physician and a surgeon hold the same unrestricted license to practice medicine. If your family physician chooses to, even in Indiana, he can perform amputations. It might not be prudent. The physician's malpractice insurance probably won't cover it if anything goes wrong, and if done in the hospital, the physician will probably lose his privaliges in that hospital, but there's nothing illegal in the sense of a scope of practice issue.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I typed out a big long reply, but then figured all I did was waste my time.

paramedics and emergency physicians are the be all end all of medicine, sooner or later I will capitulate to that.

18G

Paramedic
Speaking for the state I am in (PA), a Paramedic working as an EMT is not allowed to portray themselves as a Paramedic since they are not able to provide the higher level of care. That means we are not permitted to identify as a Paramedic or display insignia that indicates the ability to provide ALS care when working as an EMT. This makes sense to me.

Granted, a Paramedic when working as an EMT will be able to better assess and in certain circumstances make better decisions, but overall a Paramedic without their authorization, equipment, and drug box isn't much better than the EMT.

I guess it's more of a state level thing and what the statutes indicated. Regardless, any attorney will argue anything for their client but doesn't mean it will be upheld.

Last edited by a moderator: