Medic Students!!!

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
ANOTHER TIP FOR CLINICALS: DO NOT MESS THINGS UP FOR OTHER CLASSMATES AND MEDIC STUDENTS IN OTHER PROGRAMS!!!!!!

When a nurse/preceptor asks you:
1} what skills do you need?
2}Why do you guys come to this department?

NEVER NEVER NEVER say I don't need anymore skills because I have all the required ones already. Also, NEVER say, I don't know why I am here, I have all of my skills already.

A nurse won't think twice about asking you to leave.

I had to go to a different hospital for a rotation because a classmate did something along these lines. We are no longer welcomed on that unit.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
How about watching the procedure and learning something? The OR is a great learning experience. You should not be there "just to get a tube"!

I do not disagree except the RN for the proceedures pretty much run you out once the doc is finished with you. @ the hospital where I did my clinicals the OR wasnt Medic student friendly. Made lemonade out of lemons. Plus I have an unfair advantage over most students. I work at an inner city (teaching hospital ) Level 2 ER with Docs that will teach you as much as you are willing to learn. I love and hate it all at the same time.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
How about watching the procedure and learning something? The OR is a great learning experience. You should not be there "just to get a tube"!

That's a good idea, and I do that IF there isn't an opportunity for me to tube or do a procedure I'll be doing on the road. Procedure that I'll actually be doing takes precedence over watching surgery.

reaper

Working Bum
Being able to watch a surgery and learn something new(outside your scope), can be more of a learning experience, then a minor procedure that you will do a thousand times.

I remember how hard it is to get your intubations in the OR. I know that they are becoming less frequent, due to more LMA usage. But, never pass over a learning experience.

To those that think they are treated bad in the OR. There are a few things you can do.
First, do not enter the OR with the attitude that you are there only to get tubes. Enter with the attitude that you are there to learn, to learn anything they will teach you no matter how minor you think it is.

Second, Hit it off with the anesthesiologist or the RNA as soon as you get there. Let them know that you are eager to learn anything that they will teach you. This will get you a much greater education in the long run. If they know that you are serious about what you are doing and not there because you are required to be. Don't show annoyance if they have no intubations. Ask if you can put in the LMA. That is a skill you will need just as much and it is good to know how to do it!

More and more OR's are not allowing medic students in, any longer. The reason is the lack of wanting to learn and the attitude that they already know what they are doing. A lot of them do not listen to what they are being told, they just want to drop the tube.

If you are on an OR clinical, you are there to learn all you can about airway control. If you can observe the operation and learn something else, it is a plus. You are not there to do other procedures. You can get Iv's during other clinicals

ER clinicals may go a little easier, because ER nurses are used to dealing with arrogant medics. When you go to the OR,Peds,OB, or Psych, You need to act professional, be polite and show them that you are eager to learn from them. This will get you a clinical experience that is enjoyable for all involved. Do what ever they ask and ask to do everything. I don't care if it is something you may never do again in your job, it is a learning experience to do it at least once.

If you go to all clinicals with this attitude, I can guarantee that you and all students that follow you, will have a great experience.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Being able to watch a surgery and learn something new(outside your scope), can be more of a learning experience, then a minor procedure that you will do a thousand times.

It may only be a minor procedure that I'll be doing a thousand times, but when that skill needs to be done, I'm sure the patient would appreciate it that I know what I'm doing, and took the opportunity to practice that procedure whenever I could, instead of watching an appendectomy.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I passed! As of today all of my classroom portion is done except capstone. We take the REACH exam today and then on to the bar!... er... internship. Yea, internship :p

All 13 of us made it!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have nothing but time, bro.

Like... 11 months. God, can't believe it's been a month already.

We do IV/IM/SQ labs tomorrow... not looking forward to being poked. I get all shocky and pale when poked by needles.

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Good luck getting stuck tomorrow!... my College won't let us stick each other ne more in class due to insurance... so we had to practice IV's on the training arm and injection's on oranges. Not that ne one would practice an IO on each other... but we used a pack of chicken legs for that. It worked out pretty well.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yeah we have the arms to practice on, and one of the instructors is bringing in chicken legs for IO when we do ACLS.

Still-- you can fit a 14g in my hands alone, not to mention my other veins, so I'm a prime target :unsure:

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Did IV/IM/SQ today.

Got to stick one student before time was up. Went for a nice juicy AC, stuck it in, and... no flash. What the? Call the teacher over, and I said I thought I screwed up. He jiggled it a bit and POOF, flash. Turns out the bevel was hugging a wall.

Had a.. err... complication with the SQ portion...

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh, went to fill up the syringe using the saline bag, stuck in the needle, drew back... and didn't get anything.

I was like what the heck?

So I tilt the bag a little using my left hand, and jiggle the bag, and then all of a sudden felt a poke. The darn needle went through the hard plastic port and in to my thumb.

Luckily it was sterile.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
If there was tubing you should have taken saline into the syringe through the needleless port.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If there was tubing you should have taken saline into the syringe through the needleless port.

Not all classes/services use needleless ports. No one in the ABQ area uses them in the field for example, and my classes didn't have any either

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The bag was a needle infusion port. We had needleless tubing, but we didn't use it for withdrawals from the saline bags.

Just a tiny :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: on my thumb... nothing like the IM injections I gave a few people last night :p

Aced the quiz over trade names (not saying much). We have a quiz on Wednesday over the indications for all of our drugs that start with "A"