Medic School, MA or NH

JK773

Forum Probie
Hi,

My name is Joe. I have been an EMT for almost 5 years now and I was thinking about doing the advanced to medic transition over my career but I work in mass and they don't honor the advanced down here yet.

I am from NH and always wanted to go to NEEMSI but recently have been thinking about a college or different program in MA due to living in MA now.

My question is, how is the program at NECC and PRO EMS ?

J B

Forum Lieutenant
I work in MA. I went to NECC recently and have met a good number of people who went to Pro.

NECC was having some major issues when I went there, and only a handful of people from my class actually became paramedics. They ended up basically gutting the department and starting over with new faculty. The new guys are badasses and are getting the job done. The new clinical coordinator was a flight medic and is solid, teaches a few of the classes. I wasn't able to dig up much information on the guy teaching the rest of the classes. Facilities there are fantastic, they just built a new building specifically for allied health programs complete with an ambulance inside, mock doctor's office / apartments, etc.

I only know about Pro from interacting with people who have gone through the program there. Everybody I've met from Pro has been really solid and has said good things about the program. They have the opportunity to do hospital time at level 1's like BID or UMass Med... Doesn't really get better than that.

Pro is very well established and has a good reputation. It's also a lot more expensive. NECC has had some major issues in the past but seems to have turned things around, and I would expect that it will be a pretty solid program going forward.

OP
OP
J

JK773

Forum Probie
Do you know how much the NECC program was ?

J B

Forum Lieutenant
Do you know how much the NECC program was ?

You should make sure that you are technically a MA resident in the eyes of the school. Otherwise NECC probably doesn't make sense.

Just looking at account activity, I paid them $13,100 over the course of the 2 years I was there. That number includes 2 years of health insurance which I bought through the school ($3200), books (bought all new for $500... Probably can find cheaper elsewhere), and an extra 10 credits worth of not-required electives (around $2000 at a cost of around $200 per credit).

So around $7500 is what I paid for just the barebones core program that makes you eligible to sit for the NREMT-P. If you want to go for the associates degree, you'd need a handful of extra classes so it'll run you more (but be a good idea, I think, if you don't already have a degree of some kind). I think many of my classmates were not paying full price out of pocket, but I didn't really talk about financial stuff much with them.

OP
OP
J

JK773

Forum Probie
You should make sure that you are technically a MA resident in the eyes of the school. Otherwise NECC probably doesn't make sense.

Just looking at account activity, I paid them $13,100 over the course of the 2 years I was there. That number includes 2 years of health insurance which I bought through the school ($3200), books (bought all new for $500... Probably can find cheaper elsewhere), and an extra 10 credits worth of not-required electives (around $2000 at a cost of around $200 per credit).

So around $7500 is what I paid for just the barebones core program that makes you eligible to sit for the NREMT-P. If you want to go for the associates degree, you'd need a handful of extra classes so it'll run you more (but be a good idea, I think, if you don't already have a degree of some kind). I think many of my classmates were not paying full price out of pocket, but I didn't really talk about financial stuff much with them.

Technically I am a mass resident so that would probably save me a little there. And no I don't have a degree yet so I would be a Better option probably