Medic School in Denver

EMS4Life

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone Im an EMT in pierce county WA. and im moving to colorado, i want to go to medic school there and im trying to find a school. does anyone know of any medics schools in the denver area. it would be awsome to get feed back thank you

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Looks like you got a good choice there in Denver.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Denver Health

Academics are about the same at all the metro area schools. The hook with DHPD is that all your rides are done over the summer with Denver. The other schools you land up with privates or FD. I am not going to debate the quality of those rides but Denver runs more calls than the rest of the state combined. You'll see a lot more.

Egg

maddox

Forum Ride Along
Congrats on wanting to go to medic school.

There are 4 Main P-Schools in Dever.

-St. Anthony's Hosptial (Centura Health)- www.sahems.org
-Swedish Medical Center (Health One), www.healthoneems.com
-Denver Health- www.denverems.org
-Aurora Community College- www.ccaurora.edu/ems

(If I left a school out, anyone feel free to add to the list)

There are plus and minuses to each program, All the programs listed are good ones. All except Aurora are run out of Level I hospitals so you will get to see some good stuff. In the end it's how you want to do it and other considerations. You will still get you NREMT-P at the end. Some have different entry requirements for getting in you might want to look at those.
And beware, all the programs are a** kickers! All are accredited and you will get college credits.

The Denver Health Program is in Downtown Denver, like egg said, they have a high call volume but in all the programs you will run enough calls. Its a 12 month program. And you will do you hospital and rides with them. Denver Fire puts all of there recruits through DH for their EMT-B

The St. A's Program is on the westside of denver about 2 miles from Downtown Denver. They run a 6 and 10 month program. Both are brutal but the 6 month course, you will have no life, if you are married or have kids you will probably not see them to much for the 6 months. You will run with a private but most likely with one the various FD.

Aurora CC is out in Aurora, Co on the East side of denver. I'm not to familiar with their programs but I know that Aurora Fire sends most of their EMT-B and P's out to ACC. The run a mod-kelly schedule for their classes.

Swedish is Down South of denver. They have an excellent reputation. Alot of Metro Fire Departments send people there.

Do some research on them and if you have any more questions PM me and I'll try my best to answer.

M-

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Denver Health

Academics are about the same at all the metro area schools. The hook with DHPD is that all your rides are done over the summer with Denver. The other schools you land up with privates or FD. I am not going to debate the quality of those rides but Denver runs more calls than the rest of the state combined. You'll see a lot more.

Egg

yeah, all that plus you get more clinical hours at Denver Health than any other medic school in the area.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
St. Anthony's is the best IMHO by far, fast and furious but a great school.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
St. Anthony's is the best IMHO by far, fast and furious but a great school.

I've heard a few people say their program is in a decline, but of course that's just what I've heard.

I love HealthONE's programs. Eligible for college credit, top notch instructors, good facility, good academics.

DH is supposed to be a good program but I have a major concern with them. A good friend of mine took his EMT there, as well as the required BLS for Healthcare Providers class just prior to the class. The CPR dummies and practice AEDs were locked in a closet and the instructor didn't have the key for some reason, so they just continued the class anyways without any hands on practice. Although this was likely just an isolated incident, it's enough to make me think twice.