Med Star Ambulance

Refino827

Forum Probie
Anyone here work for or previously worked for Med Star Ambulance in Ft. Worth?? I'm only familiar with seeing them around town mostly. But I was wondering if anyone had any input on them, and if anyone knew the pay rate for an EMT B and I. At this point it's either Med Star or take a job offer I have on the table back in Rhode Island. But that'd be quite a move, not sure if it's worth it. It's just hard because there isn't really anything out here in New Mexico besides :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty Living Cross who pays about 8 an hour, and you have to pay for your uniform and such.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Anyone here work for or previously worked for Med Star Ambulance in Ft. Worth?? I'm only familiar with seeing them around town mostly. But I was wondering if anyone had any input on them, and if anyone knew the pay rate for an EMT B and I. At this point it's either Med Star or take a job offer I have on the table back in Rhode Island. But that'd be quite a move, not sure if it's worth it. It's just hard because there isn't really anything out here in New Mexico besides :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty Living Cross who pays about 8 an hour, and you have to pay for your uniform and such.
Actually... 9/hr for our basics, who operate to full scope. Uniform shirts provided, pants and boots you're on your own for. You also have AAS who hires basics at a pretty good rate, AMR in Dona Ana and Otero Counties who pay relatively well and provide uniforms, Sierra Vista and Gila Regional EMS which are both hospital based and relatively stable, Lincoln County EMS which is one of the state's best (run by Pres), Espanola Valley EMS (run by Pres) which is a great learning enviroment... Hmm... I think I covered all the major non-fire dept 911 providers in NM... Oh right... Superior who runs 911 in Torrance (At the moment), San Miguel, and Chavez counties...
But MedStar is a great company. We have at least a few that work there, and it's one of the few private EMS agencies i'm tempted on applying to (others being hybrid like DG or city/county run like ATcEMS)

CFal

Forum Captain
Rhode Island is a great state, New England as a whole really...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Rhode Island is a great state, New England as a whole really...

Sorry to come off topic quickly... but are you kidding? I love New England, but couldn't argue more about RI for EMS. Are we talking about the same state that still trains basics on the, MAST pants and EOA? That created their own level of non ACLS, paramedic skilled, but not educated Cardiacs?

OP
OP
R

Refino827

Forum Probie
Actually... 9/hr for our basics, who operate to full scope. Uniform shirts provided, pants and boots you're on your own for. You also have AAS who hires basics at a pretty good rate, AMR in Dona Ana and Otero Counties who pay relatively well and provide uniforms, Sierra Vista and Gila Regional EMS which are both hospital based and relatively stable, Lincoln County EMS which is one of the state's best (run by Pres), Espanola Valley EMS (run by Pres) which is a great learning enviroment... Hmm... I think I covered all the major non-fire dept 911 providers in NM... Oh right... Superior who runs 911 in Torrance (At the moment), San Miguel, and Chavez counties...
But MedStar is a great company. We have at least a few that work there, and it's one of the few private EMS agencies i'm tempted on applying to (others being hybrid like DG or city/county run like ATcEMS)

Well then I guess I shouldn't have made the mistake of being severely misinformed from the good folks of Valencia Co. Lol they always go on about how it's $7 an hr and you pay for all your uniform needs and such. Anyways I checked into Correctional Care as well. Thanks for the help though man! I appreciate it. As for Rhode Island, I love it and it'll always be my home. But it seems like a sea of fish in a barrel searching for a job. Everyone is out for the same posting. If i'm correct I think something like 5,000 people turned out for the Providence fire dept hiring. But I would love to be back in Rhode Island, there's nothing like the beautiful green and ocean haha. Vast difference between there and New Mexico.

Last edited by a moderator:

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Well then I guess I shouldn't have made the mistake of being severely misinformed from the good folks of Valencia Co. Lol they always go on about how it's $7 an hr and you pay for all your uniform needs and such. Anyways I checked into Correctional Care as well. Thanks for the help though man! I appreciate it. As for Rhode Island, I love it and it'll always be my home. But it seems like a sea of fish in a barrel searching for a job. Everyone is out for the same posting. If i'm correct I think something like 5,000 people turned out for the Providence fire dept hiring. But I would love to be back in Rhode Island, there's nothing like the beautiful green and ocean haha. Vast difference between there and New Mexico.

I would suggest you don't go back to Rhode Island for an EMS job. The cardiac is the worst level they could have ever made. Also, most of the guys on providences ambulances are miserable. They run constantly and work somewhere around 40 hours straight all the time with no sleep. Talking to some of their cardiacs, they mentioned they have to add 2 more full time ambulances to get in the range of 14 to 16 calls in a 24 hr period.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Heh talking to Valencia County Fire guys? Lol I love most of them but they over stress stuff. We are actually looking for basics right now I believe. If you're curious about nm EMS, just let me know and I can try to answer any questions you might have

OP
OP
R

Refino827

Forum Probie
Heh talking to Valencia County Fire guys? Lol I love most of them but they over stress stuff. We are actually looking for basics right now I believe. If you're curious about nm EMS, just let me know and I can try to answer any questions you might have

Lol well I work with them so they tend to talk about once in a while. I've been living here a while, and I guess either I haven't searched hard enough or there just haven't been as many Fire Department or EMS Openings. I'd like to either stay around here in NM or move east towards Texas. That's where half my family lives, and it'd be close to my wife's family here in NM.