math...

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
hello, my name is kevin, ive been a emt for 3 years. Im going to medic school this fall, and im just a little worried about math. Math is by far a hard subject for me, can anyone recommend a book or online website to help me with my math skills?

18G

Paramedic
I don't have any recommendations for sites or books but can tell you that medication dosing isn't hard at all. Memorize a few formulas and know simple multiplication and division and your all good.

Dosage classes and textbooks make it look so hard and agree it is intimidating. Real-world it's not bad at all. I suck at math too and was so relieved to find out it wasn't so bad.

Are you more worried about learning the calculations as part of the Paramedic program or are you taking an actual math or dosage calculations course?

OP
OP
K

Kevin1990

Forum Probie
calculations for paramedic class.. its combined.. so its not an "actual course"...just worried

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
If I were you Ide find someone in the class who is strong in math and ask them for help with studying because you may be stronger at something else and they may want your help. Also talk to your teacher they always have good advice

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Dosage classes and textbooks make it look so hard and agree it is intimidating. Real-world it's not bad at all. I suck at math too and was so relieved to find out it wasn't so bad.

I just got done with a Nursing Dosage Calculation class and if you followed the book, you would be sweating almost every question. I have not taken a math class in over 10 years and once you find the tricks, it will be easy. For this class I got 581 out of 584, still 99% (I think that is an "A" last time I checked).

The formula I used the most was:

(Dosage Ordered amount / Supplied Dosage amount [Both amounts need to me in the same units i.e.:mL, Mg, Units,]) X Quantity = Amount to Administer
(this is not the only formula, just the one I personal used the most out of the class)​

Here was one of the question I was asked during the course:

Doctor's order: Heparin 1200 units/hr
Available: Heparin 50,000 units in 500 mL NS
The IV flow rate is:​

Using said formal above plug in the numbers

(Heparin 1200 units/hr / 50,000 units) X 500 mL
Units cancel out so you are left with mL per hour so the answer is 12 mL/hr​

or here is one with a little more to it

Safe dosage range: Esmolol 50 to 300 mcg/kg/min
Available: Esmolol 5 g in 500 mL D5LR
The IV flow rate for the lowest and highest dosages for this titration for a client who weighs 110 lb is:​

First covert to like units
There is 1kg per 2.2 lb, (110 lb / 2.2 lb per 1 kg) pounds cancel out and you have kilograms left over. So the client weighs 50kg

1g is equal to 1,000 mg is equal to 1,000,000 mcg (Esmolol 5 g x 1,000,000 mcg per gram) grams cancel out and you have micrograms leftover​

Now that units are converted over, just do the math

50mcg/kg/min X 50kg= 2500mcg/min (kilograms cancel out)
300mcg/kg/min X 50kg= 15,000mcg/min (kilograms cancel out)

Using the same formula do the math

(2,500mcg/min / 5,000,000mcg) X 500mL= 0.25 mL/min
(15,000mcg/min / 5,000,000mcg) X 500mL= 1.5 mL/min

0.25ml/min X 60 min/hr= 15mL/hr
1.5mL/min X 60 min/hr= 90mL/hr
So the safe dosage range is 15-90 mL/hr, anything outside that range is dangerous and the order needs to be question because it is unsafe​

The book wanted you to do extra step like break down how many units of a drug are in one mL then break down the hours into minutes and so on so on. The best advice I can give you is found out what they are asking before jumping in and doing the math. Once you have an answer, make sure you have it in the correct units that the professor is asking for.

Don't stress out to much, I know I did over the final and it was not worth it. If you need help, ask a classmate or IM me and I will help you with your problem so you can find the answer.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
hello, my name is kevin, ive been a emt for 3 years. Im going to medic school this fall, and im just a little worried about math. Math is by far a hard subject for me, can anyone recommend a book or online website to help me with my math skills?

Drug calculations is not rocket science. It is not quantum physics. Nor is it brain surgery. It is simple algebra. Simple high school algebra; maybe even junior high.

Do not worry about things that haven't happened yet. You aren't anywhere near that bridge so why worry about jumping off of it? You will be given the formulas during class. Learn them. Practice them. Not just with the simple patient weights they'll give you, but also with each and every pt and their weights you pick up in the truck when you work as a basic.

I use one formula for all of my drug calculations. And it is no more advanced than high school algebra. I even use the same formula to verify that a pt I pick up on a transfer is on the dose they say the pt is on. And I incorporate a mathematical technique taught in elementary school.

Don't over think this stuff. It really is that simple.

Last edited by a moderator: