Math for Health Care Professionals

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't have any experience with that particular book but what part of math do you have troubles with? Are you poor in just general math meaning the adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing or is it specifically directed at the medical parts like calculating weight in kg, calculating drip rates etc? If it's the latter there's really only a couple calculations you need to know which I can probably help you understand.

OP
OP
makphisto

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
It's the latter. I can do basic math, but for some reason, I'm just not getting this. I'm taking my Intermediate course, and that's my least strongest area so far. Sadly, no one in my class seems very capable, either, so I can't go to them for help.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
ok, that type of math is fairly simple once you understand and or memorize the equations, there's really only a couple of equations you need to know.

First off do you have a good grasp on converting milligrams to grams or milliliters to Liters etc?

The easiest equation to remember is for converting pounds (lbs) to kilograms (kg). All you need to know is 1 kg = 2.2lbs. So if you have a patients weight in pounds and want it in kilograms you divide their weight by 2.2 and you will have their weight in kilograms. Try a few now, try a patient at 187lbs, 220lbs, and 335 lbs. You can PM me the answers you get if you want to make sure they're right that'll help keep the thread a little cleaner.

With all the math we do it's much easier if you write it out and show your work because you can show that your units are canceling and if the units cancel your answer will be correct as long as you do your multiplication correctly.

So for that equation 2.2lbs per kg could be written as 2.2lbs so if you have a patients weight in lbs
1kg
you need to invert the equation so the lbs are on the bottom then the units will cancel out. It looks like this when done. 1kg x pt. weight in lbs = pt weight in kg because the kg is the only unit left.
2.2lbs

The next part you need to do is calculate a dosage with their weight in kg. Again set it up so your units cancel. say the patient is 100kg and your dosage is 0.4mg/kg it's already set so your units cancel all you have to do is multiply the 100 x 0.4 and you will have your dose in mg. My fingers hurt I'll be back in a bit to answer any questions and write out the drip rate formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Math is math. Ironically how it is the basics that are informing what math is needed for medication preparation.. let me ask how to calculate a Dopamine drip (sorry no cheat sheets or cheat methods).

There is more than just conversions and basic volume infusion. Remember, there is weight and volumes and they are not the same. As well one may not always be in the back of the ambulance always and or/ may have to perform a more detailed calculation.

Any book with referrence to math in pharmacology is better than nothing.

R/r 911

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes there is additional work needed and a knowledge of your intended infusion for dopamine but the same basic calculations should work. I in no way was saying the book was not of help but if I am able to provide the information in a way that the OP can understand and retain then a book is not truly necessary as you can pick your own random numbers and plug them into the equation even if they are not technically accurate to the numbers used in the field it's understanding and being able to apply the formulas that is important.