Massachusetts Practicals

medservguru88

Forum Probie
Hi I am getting close to taking my state practicals for EMT-B, and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what to expect from examiners i.e. mannerisms, tricks they might pull to trip me up..and how strictly they might grade. I am not worried just a bit unnerved as i do not know what ill be walking into.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
It depends vastly on who you get. Back when I took mine, my examiner walked out to take a phone call while I was backboarding. Make sure to assert and voice your interventions especially of they seem careless. Cover your bases. Some will seem harsh and stern.... It's just to make everything fair, professional and unbiased. They won't make small talk usually so just be thorough and you should do fine!

OP
OP
M

medservguru88

Forum Probie
thank you for your advice im mostly nervous about the assessment portions since all my instructors have applauded my cpr and splinting ability

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Where did you take your program?

Although not required, consider being prepared with more than just "the script" for assessment. Make sure you know all applicable medications, name, dose, medical control, route, indications, contraindications, etc. When given vitals, pause, and think about what they may mean for the patient (remember, you are demonstrating clinical practice, not just a script, so share your clinical impression if/when you have one). Make sure (on all stations) to verbalize everything so they examiner can hear and understand your thought process.

Fully familiarize yourself with all necessary equipment and supply, before and on the day of. For equipment heavy stations, prepare what you expect to need at the beginning of the station.

TyBigz

Forum Probie
Pay attention to the info they give you. Understand what each med does and when and how it is appropriate. Depending on what region you are know what requires Med control and what doesn't. For mine, my instructors had us call med con for everything we wanted to give because you can't get in trouble for asking. Don,t get fooled by the "Anything else?" question they might give you, if you felt confident then don,t second guess it. And the Number one thing i did to study was to sit in my living room with my mom or my girlfriend, read them to them 1 or 2 times and then give them the paper and recite them. I did this EVERY night for EVERY station. I was given the highest remarks by my teachers, actually offered a job one teacher for the FD he works at, and passed every station. If you want any other tips send me a PM and i'd be happy to help you.